Okay to eat hidden egg?

*GEL*

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 17, 2009
Indiana
Hi, I have 2 1+yo Golden Comets and 2 approx 15 wo ISA Browns. I got the Golden Comets first and had them for approx 2.5 mos before they actually laid an egg (I believe they were molting) - the first one started a couple of weeks ago. The second just started today
clap.gif
and the ISA Browns haven't started yet.

I was cleaning out the non coop side of the shed that they like to go in and out of when free ranging and found an egg back in one of the corners.........would it still be okay to eat it when I don't really know how long it's been there?
hu.gif

It can't be more than approx. 2 weeks old though. As that's about how long she has been laying and it is darker like the ones she lays now, not like the first few I got from her. I smelled it and it didn't smell bad (although I do have a cold).
roll.png

Thanks!

Either candle it or do the float test. It it floats toss it. If it candles clear it's probablly ok to eat. 2 wks in this heat (at least here in FL) would get it fed to the dogs no matter how it candles....

ETA: I wanted to change what I said about no matter how it candles it would get fed to the dogs...I thought about it after I wrote it. If the air cell was small and fresh appearing I would put it in the fridge and eat it no problem. It's probably only a few days old. If the air cell was large (older egg) then it would get fed to the dogs.

Last edited:
You can do a float test. Put the egg in a measuring cup full of water. If it floats, then it's gone bad. If it sinks to the bottom and stays there, it's good. If one end is up and the other end is at the bottom, it's probably still okay, but you'll want to use it quick.

Eggs do this because the air sac in the egg gets larger inside as it loses moisture with age.

WOW! All within a minute of each other........
clap.gif

Guess I'll try the float test.....
lau.gif

Thanks you guys......
Love this site!

1 egg is not worth it. I'd just toss it or feed it to the pets.

Eggs are actually fine to be kept at room temp provided we aren't talking about middle of summer without air conditioning. They will age faster and should be used sooner when left on the counter but they are still good for weeks. In the fridge they are good for months. When kept clean and dry eggs don't go bad that easy. It's when they get wet that bacteria most easily gets into the shell and that's why washing eggs can actually increase the chances of them going bad.

Back
Top Bottom