Okay to stay outside coop/box at night?

They are fine, my family is from Mexico and all of the chickens go up into the trees or the highest place they can find and sleep there. They can fend off predators if they are in a little bunch, but most predators might not see or get them since they are high up.

I love Mexico. That is such a nice visualization of al the birds up in the trees... I am going to put them in the coop at night just to be safe. They are really like pets to me. They sit on my lap and let me pet them. I can't stand the thought of anything happening to them.

I think to provide as much safety as you can fastening them in a coop at night is a must. Foxes, coyotes and raccoons are all very determined. Think in terms of a domestic pet dog that wants to get to something, they are very focused and will keep working to accomplish their goal.
I can’t speak for what predators are in other areas but here chickens free range roosting in trees or barns or even in moderately secure enclosures are very subject to predation by lots of animals. Raccoons are very at home climbing and a chicken is not apt to be able to defend themselves at all. While they may be safe from foxes and coyotes on a high enough roost as soon as they come down from it they are not and that time if morning is a peak activity time for foxes and coyotes though they can be active anytime of the day or night.

Yes! It is the highest rooster in their little setting. How funny! Looks like we need to add a higher one to their coop or take this new one down. I personally will sleep better at night, knowing they are tucked in and they really are definitely not happy with me when I put them in now. Problem solved! Thank you! Another question, when my sweet cockerel gets full sized, will he continue to go in with the hens at night or will he sleep outside in the "yard?"
He will follow the females. If they go in the coop he will too. Initially to get my youngsters into the coop at night, I give them some treats. They will do most anything for treats even going into their coop. Good luck...

Maybe you could add wood to the other side of the Hc and then screw it in. Kinda sandwiching the Hc in so it's almost impossible to get ripped out. That's what I started doing after break in and it has worked great

Thank you! I have been gently moving them into the coop at night until my husband adds a new roost inside the coop that is higher than the one outside. If I let them grasp onto my hands as a roost and move them in, they are much better with it than my holding them around their wings.

I think to provide as much safety as you can fastening them in a coop at night is a must. Foxes, coyotes and raccoons are all very determined. Think in terms of a domestic pet dog that wants to get to something, they are very focused and will keep working to accomplish their goal.
I can’t speak for what predators are in other areas but here chickens free range roosting in trees or barns or even in moderately secure enclosures are very subject to predation by lots of animals. Raccoons are very at home climbing and a chicken is not apt to be able to defend themselves at all. While they may be safe from foxes and coyotes on a high enough roost as soon as they come down from it they are not and that time if morning is a peak activity time for foxes and coyotes though they can be active anytime of the day or night.

Thank you! I have been gently moving them into the coop at night until my husband adds a new roost inside the coop that is higher than the one outside. If I let them grasp onto my hands as a roost and move them in, they are much better with it than my holding them around their wings.

Back
Top Bottom