Okay, when will I know?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by SkyWarrior, Jun 28, 2010.

1. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    I have two goslings, almost 3 months old. One is a Toulouse and the other is an African. I was wondering when I might learn whether they're male or female. (And when I might see an egg?) How do you determine the sex of a goose?

2. noahsgeese

noahsgeese Border Collie

Nov 30, 2009
    Virginia
    My male is a lot bigger and a lot more in charge then are female and depending the age then the female has a little pouch between her legs and that is also a way that you can tell!

3. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Isn't there something about their voices? I have a bunch of young toulouse and tehy are starting to sound a bit different, but I can't remember what noise is from what sex [​IMG]

4. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Quote:I thought it was something along the lines of high squeaky voice=male and deeper voice = female. In which case, I may have at least one female. [​IMG]

5. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:I thought it was something along the lines of high squeaky voice=male and deeper voice = female. In which case, I may have at least one female. [​IMG]

Yeah- I think it was somebody hisses and somebody honks. I definitely have a few that honk- hope those are girls!

6. Goosehaven

Goosehaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    Both males and females have lobes or pouches on their tummy's, not just females.

7. Kim65

Kim65 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Washington state
    Both geese and ganders hiss. The pitch of the voice is the clincher. High shrieky sounds would be for ganders, and lower pitched honkings are likely females. My females talk more, too, imagine that [​IMG]

My gander also has a wider range of "voices". He can sound like a machine gun (interspersed with yelping screeches) when someone walks up to the back porch. I run outside when I hear that because someone is about to be very sorry they didn't go to the front door instead. The females holler but it always sounds low pitched and honk-ey.

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    You can tell by their behavior if you know what to look for. The ganders are usually more outgoing, the females are more shy. However, if they were hand-raised, they might not act like they should.

Both males and females have the lobes (paunch) on their bellies, that's a breed thing, not gender.

The males are usually louder, with a higher-pitched 'honk'. It almost sounds like screaming [​IMG]

The african can be sexed by the size of the knob on the beak, though since you only have the one, it might be hard to tell. They should start laying in early spring next year, but they might not until the following year. That's provided you have at least one female [​IMG]

9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:My males are the talkers, the females don't talk much at all.

10. Kim65

Kim65 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Washington state
    I have two females now, and one won't shut up and the other (an Embden) only talks when the gander makes noise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by