Okay which one is it? Or is everybody as confused as I am over this?

Doodlenuggets

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 19, 2012
Florence, South Carolina
All three pictures are of the same rooster...I have seen some folks call this a Barred Rock ..... some call it a Plymouth Rock... and some that call it a Dominicker.....
idunno.gif
OH PLEASE GREAT, WISE AND ALL KNOWING FOLKS OF BYC
bow.gif
What is he?
barnie.gif
Help!

No honey, settle down lol. There are plymouth rocks, and then there are many varieties or colors inside that breed. Rocks come in barred, that is the black and white color you have, white, buff, colombian and I'm not sure what else. Rocks have a straight comb and heavier body type.

Dominiques are also barred, colored like your bird, but they have rose combs and are lighter built. Many folks who don't know much about chickens call any barred bird a dominicker--it's an old-time thing and more common in some areas of the country.

Your little roo looks to have a straight comb, so I'm going with barred rock.

I thought those were two seperate breed names Plymouth Rock.....and then Barred Rock? There is a breed called a Plymouth Barred Rock??!! :th
Plymouth Rock is a breed. Barred is a colour variation of the breed.

There are barred, partridge, silver pencilled, white, buff, columbian, etc colours that are all Plymouth Rocks.

The chick could either be a poor quality barred plymouth rock, or it could be a mutt. No it is not a Dominique. They have a different comb.

Donrae & Aoxa,

I am oohhh so grateful!! *singing* "I can see clearly now the rain is gone!" I get it!!! I think he is just soooo beautifully colored! Call him poor quality or a mutt if ya want, but he's a looker to me
cool.png
Barr-NONE! But he doesn't like me for squat :/

The other roo's LOVE me, pecking my toes and taking treats from me, but he is standoff-ish
hide.gif
. I got all of them at the same time and gave all of them equal attention. Since he is so handsome, I wanted to keep him around for just his looks and maybe try my hand at having some chicks later, who knows?

Thanks so much for clearing me up on that!
thumbsup.gif

Barred rocks, even poor quality are beautiful once grown! My boy is not up to standards, but I think he is stunning. Plus he's a great dad, and good to his ladies and us.
_MG_7059.jpg
_MG_7186.jpg
:love Roosters should be stand-off-ish. It's in their nature.

Back
Top Bottom