Okay, who laid what?

Well, these days it's much better, but we had two instances this year with -40 windchills consistently over several days. One of the days during the first instance, we hit in the negative 50's My duck pens are in a protected spot that's on the southern facing side of my home so that really helped. But also, the snow got so deep this year that they couldn't really get around except in paths. My indian runner drake for several weeks didn't even want to take his feet out of his feathers- he'd waddle a bit to food, then sit and bring up his feet and eat/drink right away. Taken out, they'd all just sit and bring up their feet. It's been a hard winter here in Minnesota.

There have been four days this year where I literally brought everyone in the house and they sat in the bathtub until they went back outside. They got to swim (although crowded) in the tub, thaw out and preen which they loved.

All of my ducks have survived this winter which has been one of the coldest on record... top 5 in my area I think.

Oh my gosh! That's one hard winter. Is it still like that now? Oh my gosh, it's just started to warm up here. Don't tell my state that the weather is like that..mi don't want it to steal some of your winter!

You're in Michigan? You guys had it pretty hard too I hear. More so than us I think? We have about two feet on the ground now, with about three days of melting (thank goodness!). So no, not anymore, it's starting to warm here too.

Thanks they are two very peetty ducks and yea I definitely need to do more research for a while I thought I had two boys (it looks like both there tails flip up) and then pop there's an egg!

According to Metzer Farms Rouens have a 35% chance of laying blue/green eggs. Pekins on the other hand have less than 2% chance. You are very lucky to a a Rouen that lays colored eggs. I have been wanting colored ducks eggs for a while. My ducks only lay white eggs-a little boring.

Back
Top Bottom