1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Buckguy20, May 9, 2011.

1. Sooner

Sooner My kids Mom!

Mar 22, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Quote:I don't have freezer space because I have strawberry freezer jam in there among other things. LOL. I have now offically been in my house long enough that I have figured out that I need to change some of the things I have in the cabinets....I will not only get more space but I will have more room for can goods & such. I have a big pantry & it is full to the brim! LOL. I'm thinking the board games need to go into the kids room so I can use that cabinet for jars.

2. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    Quote:Shoot... I don't even know where to GET apples except at Walmart [​IMG] None of my neighbors have trees. I am trying to convince James to put a fruit tree in his back yard to replace the 4 maples we've cut down.

If you ever stop shopping @ wm you won't miss it! I use to be a loyal wm shopper. Now I avoid the place & only go if there is a good markdown (like canning jars) or if I am filling in between big shopping trips. Not sure how far you are from the commissary, but once I began shopping there I began to hate wm prices!!! Army reserves gets commissary privileges, I am assuming Marines do too???

I almost never shop at wm anymore, all my groceries I buy from Homeland for what I buy the prices are in the same ballpark and their meat is better. My husband isn't as diligent as I am about avoiding it, but there are still a few things we get, mostly the snacks he takes in his work lunch, that is cheaper there.

I was driving through Checotah the other day and went to their Shelton's grocery store and was pleasently suprised they had some very good produce prices, I think I'll go again and check the rest of the store out, I drive right through there on Frid morning when I get off work.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  3. faerielady

faerielady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Quote:Shoot... I don't even know where to GET apples except at Walmart [​IMG] None of my neighbors have trees. I am trying to convince James to put a fruit tree in his back yard to replace the 4 maples we've cut down.

If you ever stop shopping @ wm you won't miss it! I use to be a loyal wm shopper. Now I avoid the place & only go if there is a good markdown (like canning jars) or if I am filling in between big shopping trips. Not sure how far you are from the commissary, but once I began shopping there I began to hate wm prices!!! Army reserves gets commissary privileges, I am assuming Marines do too???

Yeah James has commissary priveleges, but we aren't married and he won't go grocery shopping unless he's under duress. Which means I don't get to go to the commissary.

Homeland still has apples for 89 cents/pound for Fuji. I should stop looking... I don't have the money to stock up on canning jars, no one I know has any, and there are already people asking for them on CL and freecycle. So. I'll live vicariously through people who can actually do that stuff. *sigh*

Adding "canning" to the list right up there with "hunting".

4. Poco Pollo

Poco Pollo Vista de Nada Farm

Jun 14, 2009
    Haskell, OK
    Quote:I don't have Sussex in with my big roosters right now, but in the spring I'll be using Light Sussex, White Rock, and NN hens with Cornish roos and Cornish X roos. The Sussex get big and heavy, but they don't have a broad breast, so crossing them with the Cornish produces a nice, broad bird.

5. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:If you ever stop shopping @ wm you won't miss it! I use to be a loyal wm shopper. Now I avoid the place & only go if there is a good markdown (like canning jars) or if I am filling in between big shopping trips. Not sure how far you are from the commissary, but once I began shopping there I began to hate wm prices!!! Army reserves gets commissary privileges, I am assuming Marines do too???

Yeah James has commissary priveleges, but we aren't married and he won't go grocery shopping unless he's under duress. Which means I don't get to go to the commissary.

Homeland still has apples for 89 cents/pound for Fuji. I should stop looking... I don't have the money to stock up on canning jars, no one I know has any, and there are already people asking for them on CL and freecycle. So. I'll live vicariously through people who can actually do that stuff. *sigh*

faerielady,
    just come over here for a day, you can hunt in the am, I have permanent stands and will loan you the gun, then we have several pear and apple trees in th eimediate area that can be picked, you may need to come back the next day for canning though.. If your in MWC area its only a 20 minute drive..

6. Sooner

Sooner My kids Mom!

Mar 22, 2009
    Oklahoma

Nothing wrong with getting them at the store now for .57 per pound & canning them so you can have them during the winter ect at the same price......

I got a peach tree planted this fall & hope to plant more this spring.

7. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Well its official, I forgot what today was and had a phone call as a reminder.. I am going stick with the idea that I am 1 day older today... So that means I am now 21 years and 17 days.. I could have lived without that call, I was so content not getting older.

8. jcatblum

jcatblum Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    Canning is one of those expensive hobbies @ times! Keep your eye out cheap jars do come around from time to time. Filled the whole truck of my car with cases of jars, unopened lids & such @ an estate sale last yr for $6. Wish I could find sales like that more often! Then I don't feel as bad when I buy a box of full price jars!!! The commissary has the cheapest name brand jars if you find them in stock. They only keep a few on hand @ Ft Sill so it can be hit & miss.

9. Sooner

Sooner My kids Mom!

Mar 22, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Quote:If you ever stop shopping @ wm you won't miss it! I use to be a loyal wm shopper. Now I avoid the place & only go if there is a good markdown (like canning jars) or if I am filling in between big shopping trips. Not sure how far you are from the commissary, but once I began shopping there I began to hate wm prices!!! Army reserves gets commissary privileges, I am assuming Marines do too???

You should just start hitting the thrift stores & yard sale. By next fall you will be ready.

10. jcatblum

jcatblum Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    Quote:Happy Birthday!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by