***OKIES in the BYC III ***

I live in Broken Arrow/Wagoner County, lots of heavy rain, winds and hail but was lucky there was no tornado...thoughts and prayers to those who did have damage...glad to hear everyone is safe. But like Betsy said the season of storms is upon us..

Haskell had strong winds, thunder and rain, and lightning that went on and on and on. Our computers were unplugged as soon as the lightning became threatening, so I wasn't able to post.

Wow! Yes, I only got a glimpse of the fake one and it didn't register with my short-term memory that BOK Center was in the foreground. The actual tornadoes look a lot alike. The TV stations would probably want the picture your friend took. How lucky they are!

Oklahoma Department of Agriculture Is planning classes for NPIP Tester Certification at several locations and on several dates this year: Monday, May4 at the Tulsa Fairground;, Tuesday, May 5 in Atoka; Monday, May 11 at the Dept. of Ag. building in OKCty; and Thursday, May14 in Cherokee. I have a contact telephone number if you want more information, or I will forward an email I got to you if you'll PM your email address. Any of these classes that don't get reservations will be canceled.

Oklahoma Department of Agriculture Is planning classes for NPIP Tester Certification at several locations and on several dates this year:  Monday, May4 at the Tulsa Fairground;, Tuesday, May 5 in Atoka; Monday, May 11 at the Dept. of Ag. building in OKCty; and Thursday, May14 in Cherokee.  I have a contact telephone number if you want more information, or I will forward an email I got to you if you'll PM your email address.  Any of these classes that don't get reservations will be canceled.

I see that all the time. What does it mean to be NPIP certified?

some of the hail we got when the larger ones came down was not brave enough to retrieve them and then they melted before i got a pic of them.

i have a broody who was sitting on some cochin eggs that was covered by a plastic tub but some water seeped under will the eggs still hatch?

Last edited:
i have a broody who was sitting on some cochin eggs that was covered by a plastic tub but some water seeped under will the eggs still hatch?
If she continued to sit on them and the nest was not sopping wet, they should. Her body heat should have kept the eggs viable even with the increased humidity.
Give her a nice new pile of dry nest material, settle the eggs and she should be okay to go.
Looking at the tub, you might set 4 or 5 bricks in there with a round cutbplywood or a metal can cover on top as a base for the nest. That should keep it dryer if more rain comes before the eggs hatch.

If she continued to sit on them and the nest was not sopping wet, they should. Her body heat should have kept the eggs viable even with the increased humidity.
Give her a nice new pile of dry nest material, settle the eggs and she should be okay to go.
Looking at the tub, you might set 4 or 5 bricks in there with a round cutbplywood or a metal can cover on top as a base for the nest. That should keep it dryer if more rain comes before the eggs hatch.
I moved her and them to a little bit higher ground. she got up but went back before too long. i was trying to think of something to put under them before it rained but i didn't make it i have some pine shavings but the last time i put some in there the chickens tried to eat it and i din't know if that was safe or not. i will look around and see if i have any plywood.

We had some marble sized hail, but the wind did a number on several of the tarp covers on the outside pens...nothing too hard to fix. We only got 1/2 inch of rain in the gauge...sure seemed like there was a lot more than that. Lots of pond run-off.

We had a calf born last evening before the storm hit...a seasoned mother. Her calf was bucking this morning.
Another was born thru the night but was dry and full this morning.

Every time we go down to check cows on our 3-a-daycalving checks, I'm carrying empty 5 gallon buckets in the Ranger and bringing them back full of sand from the gopher hills in the sandy areas of the pastures. These buckets of sand are going onto the ground in the outside pens both to fill dusting holes and to improve runoff....These last several rains have really shown me the muddy spots. The birds are sure loving the dry ground too.

Babies are hatching in the hatcher, the daffodils are blooming everywhere, the fruit trees have burst into bloom, the peonies and daylilies are up,...sure looks and smells like spring now.

I need to make a visit to the FSA office in Chandler today to get the acreage reports signed for the new 2015 Farm Bill guidelines.
When I get back, I have tomato seedlings to transplant into larger pots, still need to get more onions and the potatoes planted, as well as.get the peas and spinach planted. The brocolli and cabbage plants are begging to go into the garden and then need to make hominy from the last of the dry corn I ordered for that purpose. Looks like two days worth of activity....

I was never meant to be a city girl...I love the farm too much.

Back
Top Bottom