***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Well, I just got back from picking up 3 barred rocks from the Bethany feed store. So apparently the chicks the have were leftover from a much later shipment from our first. These are about 6 weeks old. I put them in the others' old run. They have Buff Orpingtons, Barred Rocks, White Leghorns, and Production Reds. I think that's what they told me. I guess my hubs didn't get the full story before he told me. Ha! I got them for $3.75 each. Not too bad.

Kass, we had a pretty good crop of raspberries from the starts you gave me two years ago! I have a few questions, 'though. They were pretty small compared to those I remember picking at a commercial farm when I was a youngster, and they were pretty tart. Not that tart isn't good. If I were to fertilize them and water them a lot more, would they be larger? And did I pick them too soon? the came off easily. The last question is about how to deal with them now. I think I remember you said all the fruiting canes should be removed?? When should I do that?? The heat and sun are now being very hard on the largest plant, but the other two are not so stressed. The largest grew much faster and produced much more fruit.

Thanks for giving them to me in the first place, and for all your advice!

Questions for Kyzmette (sp?) and Coral: Are there more details on the swap in Skiatook July 9? Is there good shade in the area we'll be, or do we need to somehow make some provision for our own shade?

I hope there are several who will be there. These events are fun regardless of the size, but the more the merrier! Looking forward to seeing at least the two of you!!

Kass, we had a pretty good crop of raspberries from the starts you gave me two years ago! I have a few questions, 'though. They were pretty small compared to those I remember picking at a commercial farm when I was a youngster, and they were pretty tart. Not that tart isn't good. If I were to fertilize them and water them a lot more, would they be larger? And did I pick them too soon? the came off easily. The last question is about how to deal with them now. I think I remember you said all the fruiting canes should be removed?? When should I do that?? The heat and sun are now being very hard on the largest plant, but the other two are not so stressed. The largest grew much faster and produced much more fruit.

Thanks for giving them to me in the first place, and for all your advice!

Awesome glad they are producing for you. Anytime after bearing you can cut those canes to the ground, sooner is better no sense wasting energy on spent canes. The should almost fall off the plant when you touch them for the sweetest berries. I'm not sure why the berries are small, mine are usually plump, so I'd say they probably need some fertilizing, early spring is when they get fertilized. They like heavy mulch, you can't mulch them to much.

So we switched to a nipple waterer the other day and I watched the chickens use it quite a bit that evening. I haven't seen them use it when I have been out there. I assume though in this heat they'd be dead if they weren't drinking from it? Also how high off the ground do I need to set my feeder so they don't scratch food out all over the ground and waste it?

Questions for Kyzmette (sp?) and Coral: Are there more details on the swap in Skiatook July 9? Is there good shade in the area we'll be, or do we need to somehow make some provision for our own shade?

I hope there are several who will be there. These events are fun regardless of the size, but the more the merrier! Looking forward to seeing at least the two of you!!
I haven't been to the feed store in Skiatook, but looking at the map view on google, it looks like there isn't any shade. I suggest you bring shade for you and your birds. I'm bringing a pop up that will shade my trailer.

I will have a cooler full of ice, water, and drinks for vendors: my treat. Bring water for your birds. We don't want them getting dehydrated.

This is what is on their Facebook page.....

If you are looking for Chickens stop by on July 9th, Skiatook General Feed Store will be hosting a "Chicken Swap". Buy sell or trade all breeds of poultry. It will be held in the parking lot from 8:30 to 12:00. All vendors will be responsible for their own set up and clean up. Red Feather Farms will be selling farm fresh eggs. We sell all feed and poultry supplies inside the store. If you have any questions please contact the store at 918-396-2200 or Jim Barnes at 918-407-9462.

https://www.facebook.com/Skiatook-General-Feed-Store-214831585556934/

I was refilling water dishes last night and had a scare when I went into the big brooder shed. A four-foot snake was strangling and biting two pullets. It was an odd mess of feet, feathers, and coil. I wasn't sure what I was seeing at first. I thought I was recording video on my phone, but when I showed John later, I only had a few seconds of footage. Adrenalin messes with your mind.

I got a machete and whacked the snake's back, but it didn't seem to do any damage, so I stood on the tail and struck higher, around the head and neck. The snake unwound and streaked for the open door, but my weight on his tail kept him from escaping. I don't want to kill snakes, but when they kill my birds, I don't think they should be invited back for seconds.

I love my backyard chickens. They've been a great addition to our family, even though they haven't started laying eggs yet. I realized I wanted to get some when my two autistic sons became enamored with the chickens my friend had on her acreage. Watching them chase those chickens was a peaceful spot in all the chaos. Suddenly, all the stress of the daily meltdowns and frustrations paled in comparison to the joy on their little faces. I love caring for the chickens as well, watching them grow, and listening to their chicken language. My sons with autism happen to be semi-verbal and sometimes also use their own language to communicate. The kids love feeding treats and petting their fluffy feathers. It's cheaper than therapy. We have a household of seven and a super-tight budget, so the eggs will be a big bonus. My hubs won't admit it, but he loves the chickens, too. I've caught him holding, talking to, and petting them when he thinks no one is watching.
Awesome. Makes me happy, for you.

Back
Top Bottom