***OKIES in the BYC III ***

had a great visit with Betsy today thanks betsy for the silkies it looks like I have 2 blue partridge show girl cock birds let me know if you sent the wrong birds and I would be more than willingly to swap
thumbsup.gif
for some reason im having trouble posting pics so maybe this will work betsy here are some of the birds that I was talking to you about https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...073741846.169244439826127&type=1&l=f931dc23d3 https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...073741844.169244439826127&type=1&l=d0e7d7585d https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...073741845.169244439826127&type=1&l=ee72cf2160
Oh my your buff show girls are beautiful! I have a white showgirl hen from Betsy and I named her Eva Gabor. I have to say she is my absolute favorite! Betsy's silkies are beautiful! I am so glad I got some from her.

Good morning all... Well, didn't make it to the sale in Newcastle. Grandkids took priority.
smile.png
Hope everyone there had a good time and bought/sold whatever you needed. Anyway, who can tell me in hatching eggs. How often do you have to get a new rooster. I mean, you can't just keep using the same rooster to breed with his own chicks, chicks, chicks, can you? Oh well, I'm trying to learn this whole chicken genetics thing and how it works. It's really interesting.

Have a GREAT Sunday!

How often do you have to get a new rooster. I mean, you can't just keep using the same rooster to breed with his own chicks, chicks, chicks, can you? Oh well, I'm trying to learn this whole chicken genetics thing and how it works. It's really interesting.

Have a GREAT Sunday!
We will use a male or female based on traits we want for up to 6-7 generations of heavy line breeding to really set and establish traits for show, however you will loose some production through this practice. If you are working with layers for the family I would keep it to two generations under the one male, so long as he is from a productive line of birds.

Thanks for the information. We are new to having chickens and are trying to learn all we can. We got a pair of Welsummer Bantams that are 12 weeks old and are excited about trying to raise some. We also got 2 EE Bantams (both hens) and 4 Silkies. All were hatched on 4-15 so should start laying sometime in Sept. maybe. We have 1 Blue Silkie roo, 2 blue hens and a white hen. They are in one coop and the Welsummers and EEs are in another. I never knew having chickens could be so much fun, and we haven't even gotten an egg yet. LOL!

Oh my your buff show girls are beautiful!
I have a white showgirl hen from Betsy and I named her Eva Gabor. I have to say she is my absolute favorite! Betsy's silkies are beautiful! I am so glad I got some from her.
My Blue Showgirl, Ezmeralda, that I got from Betsy, has been laying for a couple of months. She went broody about a couple of weeks ago about the time I had an Ameraucana get off some eggs too soon. I put those eggs under Ezmeralda and she has 4 chicks hatched so far. We went to Texas for the 4th and I worried about all my chicks the whole time. When I got home everybody was fine plus there were Ezi's 4 chicks and 2 more from another broody. DH's little Buff Cochin roo is taking care of them too. He is with the chicks more than his hens and shows them the food and water. He roosts right by their nest boxes each night. My other roos don't roost by their broodies.

Last edited:
yes betsy there was 3 show girls one blue pullet and two blue partridge roosters I am more than happy with them

I will try to post pics of the roo we where talking about

580179_482795018471066_905006186_n.jpg

He is gorgeous! Hope you get some chicks from him, but I've learned from the other silkie people that often the more gorgeous the roo the less fertile he may be. I have no idea why, but it often seems true. Maybe those partridge showgirl roos will help out. The young one should be pretty nice when he matures. I'm glad you're happy with them. I was sure I'd put a pullet in there, but you know how it goes when you're aging. I miss my mind the most!

Whew! It is warm outside when you are moving compost and digging potatoes. Need to get the two beds ready for green beans and okra....late planting both.

Was going to put up a new 9 x 20 foot pen yesterday and the ground was too hard to drive a t-post. So I soaked the area for the three posts and will dig a hole and soak the holes....so might be able to drive those posts this evening. I don't want to put the young birds in with the older juveniles. I have 30 three week to 5 week young birds in the barn brooder room that need to go outside and chicks in the brooder in the hottub room that need to go to the barn brooder room and chicks in the bedroom brooder to move to the brooder in the hottub room and chicks hatching today and tomorrow. And each area needs to be cleaned and sprayed before each new group moves in....
Then two of the 11 broodies have chicks hatching this week and the rest thru the end of the month. Just one hatch left in the incubator to come out on the 15th...may move those to the broodies and let them finish them...will have to check dates on the eggs under them to match hatch dates.
My guest room needs to be ready in case my sister gets to visit from California in early August.

Good to see some new folks on the site and to see some of the regulars posting.

Well....back at it. Hope everyone enjoys their afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom