Okies in the BYC The Original

Status
Not open for further replies.
farmqueen - it was probably a coon or a possum.

woot.gif
Is raining bigtime today! The chickens will be all wet and the yard muddy, which will make doing chores after I get home tonight real fun.
roll.png

Thats what I was thinking, either a possum or coon, I never knew they would take just the head. Is there anything I can do?

Someone said that the coon might reach through the fence and because the chicken wont fit, it takes just the head?.?. . .

Yes they will reach through the wire if they can't get through it themselves. Best thing you could do is look for any tracks to further help identify what it might be. Sometimes feral domesticated cats will do the same thing.

To get rid of it, you will have to trap it or wait up with a gun handy. It has found a source for food (or entertainment) and will likely be back.

You might want to reinforce your wire with a layer of hardware cloth, they won't be able to reach through it. You could also lock your birds in a coop where they aren't able to be close enough to the wire for anything to reach through to get them. Of course, any of those ideas are likely to cause the animal to try a different route to get to the birds. It depends on how hungry and determined the predator is.

thanks for all your info -- I left the light on all night and no dead ones this morning.

My chicken coop is within another fence -- and it has chicken wire around it, so I was surprised (and sad) to find that one dead . . . I am thinking maybe if I leave the light on at night they will be safe, because that was the first time I had turned the light off at night.

We have 20 acres and lots more land surrounding us, so I figured I would lose some, but I DID NOT like it ACTUALLY happening
smile.png
Maybe we could trap it, I know for sure we have coons and skunks because I have seen them around the pond . . . for now, I will leave the light on.

Okiechick, I miss you!! How have you been!?

Here's a picture of the mama duck sitting on her nest. Those babies should be hatching soon!

24e13jq.jpg

Sorry I haven't been on much, but things are getting hectic with moving, working, and all those other summer activities
th.gif

ChicknGurl, how are all those chickens doing that you got from me? ("Prince" is doing great
wink.png
)

dustin biery, glad you found us
big_smile.png

Scootersmom,
welcome-byc.gif

Cammie, you gotta' let us know when those duck-duck-duckies hatch
love.gif

just wanted to say this forum is awesome...i just started incubating eggs and there is alot of information here....i didnt read through the 152 pages just skipped to last...does anyone go to auction near stillwater every sat...

welcome-byc.gif
welcome-byc.gif
welcome-byc.gif
welcome-byc.gif
welcome-byc.gif
welcome-byc.gif
welcome-byc.gif

Welcome hangemhorns! I have not been to that auction. Is it the one in Perkins? Do they usually have a lot of chickens? I usually go to the Harrah auction.
OKcarla on here has been to many across the state but I don't know if she has been to that one yet.
Again welcome. Do you live in Stillwater? Let me know where you are from and I'll add you to our list on the first post.
Monty
welcome-byc.gif
welcome-byc.gif
welcome-byc.gif
welcome-byc.gif
welcome-byc.gif
welcome-byc.gif
welcome-byc.gif

Okcarla, my silkies are pipping today, day 20!
ya.gif
Eleven of the 15 call duck eggs are growing, I'll quit turning them this friday, and maybe next weekend some will hatch!! I just hope I don't screw these up!! Our electricity went off last night, but I don't know for how long.

This has been an exciting weekend, my rabbits got loose and were everywhere! And I got stung three times by a wasp!
sickbyc.gif
I really feel for these people who are allergic to bee stings. I didn't even know this thing was around till it nailed me! Bleach really took the sting out though. Hope everyone else is having fun!!
smile.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom