Oklahoma heartbreak

hensettermomo

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 27, 2013
Oklahoma
Hello new to BYC. My grand daughter just had to have some chicks. Of course daddy bought 4 of them 2 RIR and 2 BR. A stray dog ripped thru the wire and got 3. I dreaded her coming for her week with daddy. He told her on the way to the house. When she got here she checked out the damaged pen. Then it happened she looked at me and said " I trusted you momo to take care of them" my heart melted and tears swelled up in my eyes. 1 lil hen survived a RIR named Big Red. Some how Red made it into the shed next to the pen. Now Red is a house pet. we take her out with our dog. Then a few days later we had her outside and my grand baby and I went in for some drinks came out the door and the chicken killer had Red in his mouth she lay on her side looking at me helplessly. I screamed and dropped everything. Let her go!!! I'm happy to report Red is fine. she stays right with us now, if we go in she follows. She's a lucky lil house hen. Of course spoiled rotten, every night she gets to set in our laps and petted. She lays her neck out to be rubbed and trills herself to sleep.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear of your lost. Just when you think you have a safe shelter, there's always a weak spot we overlook. All anyone can do is to build a better and safer pen, pick up the pieces and start over.

There is a lot of threads on this site about building a stronger pen. I have lost 25 chicks in two mink attacks. I closed up all the holes and cracks larger than an inch.

I think everyone has suffered a lost at one time or another due to predators. Don't let it get you down, just add more chickens.
thumbsup.gif

hugs.gif
Sorry to hear. Always heartbreaking to lose the flock - worse when little kids are involved. They just don't understand. Predators are just doing what comes natural to them - we just have to find ways to keep them out. Best of luck & hope you ad to the flock.
jumpy.gif

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us! Sorry to hear about your losses
hugs.gif

Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC! Sorry to hear about your other chickens, glad Big Red is doing fine.

Welcome to BYC and sorry to hear about your other chicks. Big Red is very fortunate. Chickens are an addiction.

How did the stray end up in your yard again? Did you call Animal Control?

Called them and they won't come get him due to where we live, they will charge me if I drop him off but have no openings. Sheriff said shoot him. I'm not that type but the man that has cows next door says that dog chases his new born calves and has been trying to get him for awhile now.

Back
Top Bottom