Black poop

Beanfox

Chirping
Jan 17, 2024
I’m back!

Not sure if I’m paranoid or if this is actually an issue.
I noticed what looks like black poop this morning. I thought I noticed this a few other times recently but brushed it off as me overthinking everything lol

But this is definitely black.
Is this an issue? What would cause black poop?

Attachments

• 806E1F1B-524D-4A05-899B-2A16D40C0C92.jpeg
    806E1F1B-524D-4A05-899B-2A16D40C0C92.jpeg
    721 KB · Views: 19
  • 0C11E936-EE52-4156-B182-94FDE48D7AE2.jpeg
    0C11E936-EE52-4156-B182-94FDE48D7AE2.jpeg
    830.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Could be something your birds are eating. Are they free-ranged? Even part-time?
Right now their house is in our garage (getting moved outside today!)
We do take them outside when the weather is good. I also feed them meal worms everyday & a few days ago added a mix of meal worms and fly larva.

It doesn’t seem like everyone is having black poop, potentially just one duck since there is such a small amount of it.

Dirt. When mine get into mud or dirt they can have black poop.
Plus the soldier fly larva is kind of black. Or what I have is.
Is the duck eating drinking an all other ways acting normal?
Do you know how long after they get into the mud/dirt that their poop stays black? It’s been a few days since they would’ve had access to it

I’m not sure which duck it’s coming from, but everyone seems to be fine and normal

One of the cayugas has been bobbing her head up and down, like shrinking her neck and then lifting it back up. But she’s been doing that for a few weeks and I assume that’s a normal duck thing

I was concerned that it could be a GI bleed because it does look somewhat tar-y. But you’d think whichever duck it is would be acting strange by now

The head bobbing is flirting mine do it all the time to their drakes. It's a wonder they don't have whiplash.
I would think if something serious was going on like bleeding you'd know the duck would be showing signs of being sick.
Everything mine eats comes out the color it when in. Watermelon being the worst. Greens =green poop but usually by the next day it's back to normal well normal for a duck anyway. Just keep an eye for now.

Last edited:
The head bobbing is flirting mine do it all the time to their drakes. It;s a wonder they don't have whip lash.
I would think if something serious was going on like bleeding you'd know the duck would be showing signs of being sick.
Everything mine eats comes out the color it when in. Watermelon being the worst. Greens =green poop but usually by the next day it's back to normal well normal for a duck anyway. Just keep an eye for now.
What a flirt haha I’m not surprised that’s what it is! She seems to be the most “open” to mating when the drakes attempt.

I did just smear some of the poop onto paper, and it’s actually a dark brown/green. So I feel a ton better. Crazy how decieving the color can be when it’s condensed like that. I’ll still keep a close on the situation.

Back
Top Bottom