OKRA? how do you cook it and when do you pick it

Brush with olive oil, sprinkle with salt, pepper, & herbs, and grill on high heat, skewered. YUM!

We just had pan-fried okra tonight, that I'd previously prepared and frozen. It was great. When I put it up in the freezer, I first sliced it, then shook it in a bag with corn meal and flour, then flash-froze the breaded slices on a tray. Once the slices were frozen solid, I bagged them in a freezer bag. I do the same thing with squash and zucchini.

Yummy!!! I LOVE okra!!! Fried is amazing, in soups, an absolute essential in gumbo. Enjoy!!!
smile.png

My Grandmother would cut it up with diced green tomatoes, onion, and banana peppers and saute in olive oil until everything was tender. I fry it , use it in seafood gumbo, pickled. I love okra I have 4 rows of it now.

Hey, if I'm too lazy to properly pickle my okra, but I have some big jars that held lime piclkes and are now almost empty of pickles, can I just stick the raw okra in the jar with the pickle juice and let it sit in the fridge for a while? Would that "pickle" the okra? Good enough for a "shortcut," anyway?

Belinda

YUM! You are sooo lucky! I moved to Oregon from the East Coast a few years ago. Every year I try to grow okra here and it just doesn't work - nights are just too darn cold for decent okra. Anyone in the Northwest figure out how to grow it? I miss good okra so badly!!!

My husband saw a great recipe on some cooking show a while back for okra. I am not a big okra fan. But this way of preparing it is really nice.

First cut off the tops, then very very very thinly slice the okra lengthwise, I mean like really thin strips. As thin as you can get them.

Then coat them with a mixture of corn starch and salt, pepper, and HOT Paprika.

Then deep fry the strips just until lightly brown, it only takes a few seconds.

They are really yummy.
yummy.gif

If you don't like things hot, just use the sweet paprika.

Quote:
I suppose you can try it.....I've got a recipe for refridgerator pickles using cucumbers where you pour hot brine over the cucumbers and let them set on the counter for 24 hours before you refridgerate them. I've never tried it with okra tho.

I hate to fry so here is what I do. I think it tastes so much better than fried okra and that is the only way I use to eat it. I grow veggies for market and I tried this one day to see how it would taste. Now I tell everybody and haven't had a complaint.

You will love the actual taste of the okra instead of the taste of grease!

Okra (1 dozen or more left whole)
1 egg
1/3 cup milk or buttermilk
1 – 2 cups bread crumbs (depending on quantity of eggplant)
Your choice of seasonings (Ex. Salt, pepper, garlic powder)
Zip bag and Parchment paper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Wisk egg and milk in a bowl.
Place eggplant in the mixture and coat well.
Place bread crumbs and seasonings in a zip bag and toss to combine.
Remove eggplant from wet mixture and place in bag about 3 at a time.
Toss to coat and place okra on parchment paper line baking sheet.
Bake in preheated oven about 15 – 18 minutes.

Enjoy,
Teri

Last edited:
Okra and Tomatoes!!!

I love the stuff...could eat it everyday with a big chunk of cornbread. Yum Yum

Cut the tops off the okra and slice it as if you were going to fry it.

Saute a large onion in a heaping tablespoon of bacon drippings (I keep some in a jar in the frig for just such an occasion).

Add the okra and a large 48oz can of diced tomatoes.

Season with garlic powder, pepper and enough chicken bullion until it's as salty as you like it.

Cook over med-low heat until the okra is tender and mixture is as thick as you like it.

Enjoy!!!

Back
Top Bottom