What do you do with extra eggs?

Obsessed With Silkies

Free Ranging
Jan 15, 2022
Hello everyone! I was curious what everyone does with all the extra eggs that you get. My girls lay over a dozen a day so that can add up quickly. We do sell eggs to people but sometimes we have alot so I was wondering what are all the ways you use your eggs! Either in cooking, storing, or anything else I'd love to know! Thanks!

Hello everyone! I was curious what everyone does with all the extra eggs that you get. My girls lay over a dozen a day so that can add up quickly. We do sell eggs to people but sometimes we have alot so I was wondering what are all the ways you use your eggs! Either in cooking, storing, or anything else I'd love to know! Thanks!
You can make an angel food cake, it works great because you need only egg whites for an angel food cake and only yolks for a 12 yolk pound cake. Or if you have dogs you can scramble it up for them. Otherwise chickens LOVE scrambled eggs.

I currently have 9 people in my household, so the answer you're looking for is "big quiche"

You could search for other threads on this topic. I know there have been several over the years.

I sometimes make hard boiled eggs (eat them plain, or on a salad with lettuce and other greens, or in egg salad sandwiches, or as deviled eggs, or various other ways.)

Yorkshire Pudding is one of my go-to ways of using lots of eggs. I posted my recipe in a previous thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/help-we-have-to-many-eggs.1493154/page-2#post-24948027

If you are cooking a recipe that calls for eggs, try using more than the recipe says. My pancake and waffle recipes work fine with 3x the eggs they originally called for. My tapioca pudding and rice pudding recipes are also fine with extra eggs, but I forget exactly how much I increase those by.

You can mix up cookie dough and freeze it to bake later, or bake cookies now and freeze them to eat later (plan ahead for the next holiday! Maybe Fourth of July?)

Eggs can also be stored for quite a long time in the refrigerator. If you write the date on the eggs or on the carton, you can be sure to cook with the oldest ones first, so you don't have a few going bad in the back of the fridge.

You could search for other threads on this topic. I know there have been several over the years.

I sometimes make hard boiled eggs (eat them plain, or on a salad with lettuce and other greens, or in egg salad sandwiches, or as deviled eggs, or various other ways.)

Yorkshire Pudding is one of my go-to ways of using lots of eggs. I posted my recipe in a previous thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/help-we-have-to-many-eggs.1493154/page-2#post-24948027

If you are cooking a recipe that calls for eggs, try using more than the recipe says. My pancake and waffle recipes work fine with 3x the eggs they originally called for. My tapioca pudding and rice pudding recipes are also fine with extra eggs, but I forget exactly how much I increase those by.

You can mix up cookie dough and freeze it to bake later, or bake cookies now and freeze them to eat later (plan ahead for the next holiday! Maybe Fourth of July?)

Eggs can also be stored for quite a long time in the refrigerator. If you write the date on the eggs or on the carton, you can be sure to cook with the oldest ones first, so you don't have a few going bad in the back of the fridge.
I'll be sure to check those out!

I make frittatas. 12 eggs, and leftover veg from the fridge.

I also waterglass them for the "off season." Those are good for scrambled eggs and baking. In the past, when I crack them open, the yolk always breaks, so hubby gets store bought eggs for his over easy breakfast.

I have a lot of females laying as well, but I am not getting as many eggs because the oldest hens are growing . . . well, old, and the majority of the youngest females I keep are ornamental breeds who lay scarcely. If we do somehow get too many eggs in one day, then some of the eggs will be fed back to the chickens. This is done regularly because we don't need that many eggs. And if a family member or neighbor wants any eggs, they are free to have some.

I give mine away to the neighbors when I get to many. You can also beat up individual eggs and freeze them in silicon muffin tins to be used for occasional frozen treats for the chickens in hot weather or for scrambled eggs or thawed and used in baking, they last quite a while in the freezer. I was looking for a food bank or something to give them to but the ones I could find wanted mostly non-perishable food.

Back
Top Bottom