Olandsk Dwarf Chickens

Thanks for adding photos! They are adorable! Is that a Brinsea coop? I have been looking at them online for a while. Do you like it?

I do have Swedish Flower Hens also so I am familiar with landrace breeds. But there have been a few small problems with them like crooked toes and side sprigs on combs etc. that I am selecting against in my breeding, so I was just curious. I am guessing if there is any problems it will take a few years for it to show, since so few people have them. Thanks again for all the info.

That is a Brinsea coop. I like it for the uses I bought it for. It's nice for the O. Dwarfs in the garden, and I plan to use it for any broodies, or possibly in a breeding pen. Also, I am using the larger sized one for growing out some younger birds. It's portable, easy to clean, and will store nicely over winter. I wouldn't use it for the number of LF chickens they claim it will hold.

I'm looking forward to your hatch, and seeing some pictures. I hope your eggs arrive safely.

I just put 13 of the cutest little eggs in the incubator this morning! I can understand now why Greenfire is only selling pairs now. I wouldn't want to ship the chicks out of those eggs as day olds either. I also set 15 BBS Eng. Orp eggs! Those chick are going to be huge! Only 20-21 more days until hatch....
fl.gif

I just put 13 of the cutest little eggs in the incubator this morning! I can understand now why Greenfire is only selling pairs now. I wouldn't want to ship the chicks out of those eggs as day olds either. I also set 15 BBS Eng. Orp eggs! Those chick are going to be huge! Only 20-21 more days until hatch....
fl.gif

Good luck with your watch.
I have two eggs collected so far, would like to wait for a few more before setting.

I have 2 dozen olandsk eggs in the bator right now, set for lockdown Wednesday and hatching this coming weekend. I have 2 trios that are 6 & 7 months old - they are little laying machines! For bantams that is - nothing like a production red or a black star, but so far much more reliable layers than some of my other bantams. I am so excited about these eggs - originally set 28, removed 4 after candling a week ago. I just adore these little birds and am really interested in seeing how they turn out.

Two of the hens lay a very white egg, the other two lay a creamier color egg, slightly bigger than the white eggs. One of the roos is more rusty-orange, the other is more rusty-red. The whole concept of a breed of landrace birds - locally specialized, with no "standard" is fascinating. I haven't decided whether to breed towards specific form/color attributes, or whether to go with a Darwinian approach. How are others approaching their breeding of the olandsk birds?

I have 2 dozen olandsk eggs in the bator right now, set for lockdown Wednesday and hatching this coming weekend. I have 2 trios that are 6 & 7 months old - they are little laying machines! For bantams that is - nothing like a production red or a black star, but so far much more reliable layers than some of my other bantams. I am so excited about these eggs - originally set 28, removed 4 after candling a week ago. I just adore these little birds and am really interested in seeing how they turn out.

Two of the hens lay a very white egg, the other two lay a creamier color egg, slightly bigger than the white eggs. One of the roos is more rusty-orange, the other is more rusty-red. The whole concept of a breed of landrace birds - locally specialized, with no "standard" is fascinating. I haven't decided whether to breed towards specific form/color attributes, or whether to go with a Darwinian approach. How are others approaching their breeding of the olandsk birds?

Good luck with your hatch, please post some pictures if you can. I'm glad to hear they are good layers. I currently only have 1 trio, and they just started laying. Any signs of broodiness in yours? I like variety in my flock, so I'll use more of a Darwinian approach, culling for deformities.

Good luck with your hatch, please post some pictures if you can. I'm glad to hear they are good layers. I currently only have 1 trio, and they just started laying. Any signs of broodiness in yours? I like variety in my flock, so I'll use more of a Darwinian approach, culling for deformities.
One of the girls dabbled in broodiness, but it only lasted a few days. I was able to break up the broodiness by simply moving her onto the perch each night, so I don't think the hormones were very strong. Now my bantam cochins and Japanese bantams on the other hand...they spend most of the summer doing their imitation of the Broody Bunch!

I will definitely post some pics of my trios, and of the chicks when they hatch.

One of the girls dabbled in broodiness, but it only lasted a few days. I was able to break up the broodiness by simply moving her onto the perch each night, so I don't think the hormones were very strong. Now my bantam cochins and Japanese bantams on the other hand...they spend most of the summer doing their imitation of the Broody Bunch!

I will definitely post some pics of my trios, and of the chicks when they hatch.

Looking forward to your pictures. If I ever get one going broody, I won't break her up.

Back
Top Bottom