Olandsk Dwarf plumage genetics

brandonstokley

Songster
Oct 4, 2022
Crawfordville, Florida
hey there, just curious as to what genes I am looking at here plumage wise. my 4 pullets seem to be homogenous in color and type. I have seen and read that this breed and be a bit all over the place as they are a land race and not standardized.

IMG_1172.jpeg

Rooster looks Millie Fleur. Pretty nice one too, I think, because he looks to be an actual Millie Fleur instead of a calico like you’d often find in Cochins. Very nice black spangling on that fellow.

If they’re related, I’d presume the pullets to be the same thing. Just over-mottled. Less tends to be better with mottling, if you want to be able to see the patterning underneath the mottling. The gold I can see on them doesn’t look as clean as the male- kinda a middle ground between lacing and spangling. I’m having a bit of a struggle to see the pattern though lol.

any other photos of them? They’re very pretty.

Rooster looks Millie Fleur. Pretty nice one too, I think, because he looks to be an actual Millie Fleur instead of a calico like you’d often find in Cochins. Very nice black spangling on that fellow.

If they’re related, I’d presume the pullets to be the same thing. Just over-mottled. Less tends to be better with mottling, if you want to be able to see the patterning underneath the mottling. The gold I can see on them doesn’t look as clean as the male- kinda a middle ground between lacing and spangling. I’m having a bit of a struggle to see the pattern though lol.

any other photos of them? They’re very pretty.
thank you! here is a TikTok video I made of a pullet the other day that may give a better view.

the reason I ask is I would really like to breed more of these and keep this pattern as well as improve on it. I have seen a lot of olandsk that are wildly different in pattern and color but I think this is what the breed looks best as.

from what I have researched, if they are mille fleur, they would be columbian which is recessive, mottled which is also recessive, but the base is what im struggling to figure out. when I plug in the mille genes to the chicken genetics calculator im not getting the white that im seeing somewhat dominantly in the base of the pullets. is it a dominant white in there or is it a base gene that I having this come through?

thank you! here is a TikTok video I made of a pullet the other day that may give a better view.

the reason I ask is I would really like to breed more of these and keep this pattern as well as improve on it. I have seen a lot of olandsk that are wildly different in pattern and color but I think this is what the breed looks best as.

from what I have researched, if they are mille fleur, they would be columbian which is recessive, mottled which is also recessive, but the base is what im struggling to figure out. when I plug in the mille genes to the chicken genetics calculator im not getting the white that im seeing somewhat dominantly in the base of the pullets. is it a dominant white in there or is it a base gene that I having this come through?
That helps. I’m struggling a bit to tell whether that hen is wild type with mottling or Millie Fleur, but wild type often has darker wings. Base on Millie Fleur is usually eb, but you’d have to look at down color to tell.

e+ and eb look similar, but e+ is very clean-cut, with one defined eye stripe per eye, and head stripe. eb can have hectic eye striping, a darker head, or other forms it presents in. I don’t have any photos for example at the moment.

If your hens had dominant white, they wouldn’t have a single black marking- but still the gold coloration. From the video, the hen certainly has black. By base, do you mean under fluff? Or just color?They’re overmottled, I believe. Mottling has a lot of variation in how it shows. If you want less white, keep back the growouts with the least mottling, and select toward less of it. The rooster doesn’t have much, so having him to help breed away from overmottling is good. The calculator doesn’t ever help with the nuances of color, just a baseplate for what the color may or should look like, ideally.

That helps. I’m struggling a bit to tell whether that hen is wild type with mottling or Millie Fleur, but wild type often has darker wings. Base on Millie Fleur is usually eb, but you’d have to look at down color to tell.

e+ and eb look similar, but e+ is very clean-cut, with one defined eye stripe per eye, and head stripe. eb can have hectic eye striping, a darker head, or other forms it presents in. I don’t have any photos for example at the moment.

If your hens had dominant white, they wouldn’t have a single black marking- but still the gold coloration. From the video, the hen certainly has black. By base, do you mean under fluff? Or just color?They’re overmottled, I believe. Mottling has a lot of variation in how it shows. If you want less white, keep back the growouts with the least mottling, and select toward less of it. The rooster doesn’t have much, so having him to help breed away from overmottling is good. The calculator doesn’t ever help with the nuances of color, just a baseplate for what the color may or should look like, ideally.
thank you so much this is exactly what I was asking!

by base I am referring to the e locus I think, or "extension of black" its called in the genetics calculator.

does it look that these birds are homozygous for columbian?

When I looked at this bird breed a while back, I thought to myself hmm it looks kind of similar to a Swedish flower hen which is also a land race.

Pretty birds nonetheless.

When I looked at this bird breed a while back, I thought to myself hmm it looks kind of similar to a Swedish flower hen which is also a land race.

Pretty birds nonetheless.
I see that too. Seems like the Swedish like the mottled, eclectic colored look. Lol

I was drawn to the Olandsk for its more…traditional appearance I guess. The flower hens can have the “Mohawk” or funky hair do which is just not my taste.

They are just typical mille fluer. Mottling has different expressions depending on the individual. Yours have more white than usual. It can be bred to be less if you want, or bred to be more if you want.

thank you so much this is exactly what I was asking!

by base I am referring to the e locus I think, or "extension of black" its called in the genetics calculator.

does it look that these birds are homozygous for columbian?
Theyre most likely based on eb, that’s what Millie Fleurs should be based on/more typically are. Down color will be the best tell, probably.

Back
Top Bottom