Old and Rare Breeds

I think that you will find that in the USA all the Redcaps out there can either be traced back to Sandhills or are related to the Sandhill birds.

Yes it is true that Redcap breeding in this country is an uphill battle. However, it must be realized that most working with Redcaps have never worked with or bred chickens before; thus, to start with the Sandhill stock is most likely your best bet.

Carl may be working with Redcaps but I've never heard him mention them; of course it has been a month or two since we last talked and we would be talking Asil not Redcaps.

Does any one have a suggestion on a heratige or old breed white egg layer? (not leghorn) One that is an excellent egg layer? What does any one know of la fleche's?

Does any one have a suggestion on a heratige or old breed white egg layer? (not leghorn) One that is an excellent egg layer? What does any one know of la fleche's?

Ancona, Hamburg, Campine, Spanish, Andalusian, Lakenvelder just to name a few that need more people involved with them. For that matter the Leghorn (non-hatchery) needs some attention too.

La Fleche were intended to be a dual purpose fowl, they're average layers.

What would you say out of the breeds you mentioned are the most productive and where would i find a good strain of them what breeders?

They're all going to wind up about the same production wise. I would look in Poultry Press and APA yearbook ads for sources for most the breeds. Off the top of my head Yellow House Farms on here has excellent Anconas, and Bridgit Riddle (not on here) in CA is the place I would recommend for Spanish or Hamburgs. For Campines or Lakenvelders you should search for contact info for Urch/Turnland poultry.

I looked up Bridget Riddle, but

1. She only sells " teen and adults"

And

2. The ad I saw didn't list Hamburgs, but I didn't see a website, just a phone number and email, so maybe the ad I saw is old

Ad from BackYardPoultry mag.

CHICKEN RIDDLE
Bridget
209-485-1413
email Us
3030 Orestimba Rd, Newman, CA 95360
No catalog! Large Fowl: Shamo, Buttercup, Salmon Faverolle, Minorca, Sumatras, Barnvelders, White Ameracanas, Light Sussex. Will sell show quality and non-show quality teens and adults.

Have any suggestions for quality Hamburg that ship eggs or chicks?

In my opinion, it's best to consider yourself as beginning afresh with these breeds. The important question is whether or not their Standard requirements for type support powerful laying. The traditional, long-tailed Mediterranean and Continental breeds are built to lay: Lakenvelders, Hamburgs, Campines, Houdans, Crevecoeurs, La Fleche, Minorcas, Andalusians, Anconas, Catalanas, Leghorns, Sicilian Buttercups, Polish. They're all built to lay and have similar laying potential. In your hands progressing forward rests the key to unlocking that potential. I don't think the goal in the rare breeds is looking for the finished project. My experience has taught me that one needs to find the building blocks and then step up to the plate.

For most people's time and infrastructural resources one breed done well is the way to go: coop space to maintain 4 or more cocks in pairs or small harems (not together but in isolation), at least one growing coop for pullets and one for cockerels (or a large space divided into two sections). This is in my opinion a sensible and successful minimum per breed for a serious and efficacious breeding program. Moreover, if you are wanting to work with laying capacity intensely. You want another space for pullet layers. Each year you would select your best pullets to the SOP and then relegate them to the pullet laying house. Observe them and keep records throughout the pullet laying year, and in the fall, after having laid for the season and gone through their first molt, you'll be able to pick the best females to be you hen breeders. Thus, you're always breeding from hens that are proven pullets. One can see how doing this with one breed is sufficient to fill a life-time with learning and success.

For most people's time and infrastructural resources one breed done well is the way to go: coop space to maintain 4 or more cocks in pairs or small harems (not together but in isolation), at least one growing coop for pullets and one for cockerels (or a large space divided into two sections). This is in my opinion a sensible and successful minimum per breed for a serious and efficacious breeding program. Moreover, if you are wanting to work with laying capacity intensely. You want another space for pullet layers. Each year you would select your best pullets to the SOP and then relegate them to the pullet laying house. Observe them and keep records throughout the pullet laying year, and in the fall, after having laid for the season and gone through their first molt, you'll be able to pick the best females to be you hen breeders. Thus, you're always breeding from hens that are proven pullets. One can see how doing this with one breed is sufficient to fill a life-time with learning and success.
Great advice.
I knew long ago that I only had the space to do justice to one breed/variety.

Back
Top Bottom