Old and Rare Breeds

Might double check this, I know McMurray had them before Sandhill was even around as a hatchery. Mostly because as a kid I remember that drawing they used in their catalog and my mentor telling me to never buy birds from a hatchery.

My first Redcaps were from McMurray and they are better than those from Sand Hill or Ideal. Tell your mentor I couldn't find any anywhere else.
wink.png

Last edited:
Lakenvelders are a good white egg layer as has been stated. But what most who haven't worked with them don't know is what I refer to as the "lakenvelder effect". I have gotten eggs from all over the country (from the few breeders I could find), I have used broodies and incubators to hatch the eggs and tried every way I could think of to brood them to include having friends brood them. An example of the "lakenvelder effect" is I buy 12 eggs, even if all are fertile, only half will hatch, from that I will be lucky to get only 1 or 2 to adult hood. Most of the breeders that I have gotten eggs from won't say anything about this, even when I ask, they say they don't have this problem. Only one has said that this is a problem with the lakenvelder breed and is why they run two different lines for breeding. I have even bought chicks from a hatchery this year in late spring, all have died. I have managed to end up with a small group of adults in silver and golden, which I plan on trying to breed so the "lakenvelder effect" isn't so bad. Lakenvelders need more breeders, but if you do choose this beautiful breed, be ready for alot of work. But with anything, it's well worth it
wink.png
Shipped eggs? If so that's just because shipping eggs makes for poor hatches regardless of breed.
My first Redcaps were from McMurray and they are better than those from Sand Hill or Ideal. Tell your mentor I couldn't find any anywhere else. ;)
I wish he was still with us. The advice in general is still sound, Redcaps might be the only exception because it appears no breeders are working on them. In all other cases hatcheries are garbage and the birds they sell are garbage. Hopefully sometime in the future someone will take the time to try and breed up Redcaps but that would be a long long process and that person would have to be super dedicated to the breed. I'd say it be a good candidate to be recreated but I don't think we know how it was created to begin with?

Her she is again beside a Dorking pullet. Jim Adkins and Don Nelson (left to right (I'm behind)) are friends and APA judges who came over for a chicken soiree a week ago. We had a lot of fun going through one of the pullet pens.

Take that photo and put it next to the Ancona in the SOP and they look almost like the same bird. I'm surprised that they are not more popular with all the people who like the flashy color chickens.

Even more so now, when she's a bit more mature. She's fantastic; she actually makes me laugh out loud. I think that white egg layers have suffered from the reputation that circulates about their flightiness, which is greatly exaggerated. I sit with these birds to observe them and pick them up as they peck wheat at my feet.

Honest and true, I think the goals of many people would be much better met with a white egg layer from the Mediterranean or Continental class: Hamburgs, Campines, Lakenvelders, Anconas, Leghorns, Minorcas, Andalusians, Catalanas, Sicilian Buttercups. I think that there neglect is one of the most misinformed faux pas of the poultry community.

PS: Oops--White Faced Black Spanish

PSS: Notice the width of her tail feathers; they're as big as 3/4 my thumb.

Last edited:
Here's a pic of one of our RC Ancona pullets at 5 mo. Now, at 6 1/2 she's breath taking. The Anconas have made some serious strides forward this year.

She is quite lovely! I really like her! Is she standing with her front end low or is that their natural posture? I'd love to see shots of them being themselves in a barnyard setting.

Back
Top Bottom