Old and Rare Breeds

lualshannon,

Those chicks are fantastic!

Thanks so much for posting the pictures, i love pictures!
Thank you, Alaskan! I am happy that you like the photos!

Ok Girls, ones more, from the top, and kick HIGHER this time! And One, Two, Three................

Sorry, couldn't stop myself.... LOL, so adorable!
Thank you, Cluck-Cluck! Ohh, I know they look quite whimsical, and their personalities are as well... : )

If you'll dub those combs you'll have not more problem with frostbite.
True but the carnation comb being so unique, I hate to do so.
I thought that only game birds were showable if they had dubbed combs?
Penedesencas won't be featured in a show any time soon. I probably wouldn't show anyway. Biosecurity with extremely rare birds is one of my priorities.

What would you say out of the breeds you mentioned are the most productive and where would i find a good strain of them what breeders?
Campines are wonderful layers
If you'll dub those combs you'll have not more problem with frostbite.

True but the carnation comb being so unique, I hate to do so.
Penedesencas won't be featured in a show any time soon. I probably wouldn't show anyway. Biosecurity with extremely rare birds is one of my priorities.
My Penedesenca had no issues with frostbite. e do not get the extreme cold but we get snow often in the winter. it melts quickly generally .
I use open coops. keeps the humidity down and helps on the frost bite

I thought that only game birds were showable if they had dubbed combs?

This is true but a bird with a frostbite comb is also 'not showable.' Of course, you could enter such a bird in a show, but he wouldn't place well. Besides, exhibitions are for showing off the best we have. This is something many don't seem to understand about Shows. Condition means a whole lot when it comes to judging a bird.

I see folks who have never even been to a poultry show pick up some dirty old chicken, stuff it in a carrier and enter it in a show (and then wonder why their pet chicken didn't win). This is a ridiculous type of attitude.

I was suggesting dubbing because obviously this particular bird is not a show bird but a breeder. Frost-bit combs can/do affect breeding. Thus, my advice to dub.

I have some Friesian fowl, I have three, they are 20 weeks old.

Here are some pics.
My Chamois rooster is called Spartan (Sparta) because i had a larger Friesian roo but he had to be put down
My Chamois hen is called Honey
and my Gold hen is called Goldie

Back
Top Bottom