Old and Rare Breeds

True but the carnation comb being so unique, I hate to do so.
Penedesencas won't be featured in a show any time soon. I probably wouldn't show anyway. Biosecurity with extremely rare birds is one of my priorities.

Poultry Shows (at least those I'm familiar with) are one of the safest places you could possibly take your birds. First, all are part of the NPIP program (at least back East); second, several States also require AI negative test (and many of us participate in the AI program even though we are not required too).

No sick chicken should ever be seen at a show. Even if a chicken has something as simple as mites they will be quickly usher out.

You run a far higher risk getting a disease from wild backyard birds than you do from a chicken at a Poultry Show.

I am all for biosecurity, but if you free-range at all or if wild birds have access to your chicken yard at all then biosecurity is largely a myth.

Poultry Shows (at least those I'm familiar with) are one of the safest places you could possibly take your birds. First, all are part of the NPIP program (at least back East); second, several States also require AI negative test (and many of us participate in the AI program even though we are not required too).

No sick chicken should ever be seen at a show. Even if a chicken has something as simple as mites they will be quickly usher out.

You run a far higher risk getting a disease from wild backyard birds than you do from a chicken at a Poultry Show.

I am all for biosecurity, but if you free-range at all or if wild birds have access to your chicken yard at all then biosecurity is largely a myth.

Very valid point about the wild birds. I've asked people who say they follow strict bio-security rules how they get the Sparrows to put on the little paper booties.

Quote:
gig.gif
yuckyuck.gif
gig.gif

Sandhill is just a hatchery, and thus has low quality hatchery birds. It'd be a long process to return the Redcaps to decent quality.
Sandhill is not just a hatchery. They may not have the top quality in all the breeds that they carry but it is stated if the birds are not show quality or if they are (like the mixed color Americanas) bred for egg color and laying ability. Or like the Flame Jaerhons, an beautiful off type color that is not recognized by the Standards of Perfection (but seem to be a little hardier than the regular color). They raise all their birds. They do not buy from other farmers to fill the orders. When they run out they are out for the season. They also preserve a huge array of heritage seeds and sweet potatoes. I know of no other hatchery that raises as many rare breeds AND raises several hundred varieties of vegetables for seed.

Campines are wonderful layers

My Penedesenca had no issues with frostbite. e do not get the extreme cold but we get snow often in the winter. it melts quickly generally .
I use open coops. keeps the humidity down and helps on the frost bite
A little bit of olive oil on the comb in the winter will inhibit frostbite. It also keeps you fingers warm when you have to do delicate tasks where gloves get in the way.

Sandhill is not just a hatchery. They may not have the top quality in all the breeds that they carry but it is stated if the birds are not show quality or if they are (like the mixed color Americanas) bred for egg color and laying ability. Or like the Flame Jaerhons, an beautiful off type color that is not recognized by the Standards of Perfection (but seem to be a little hardier than the regular color). They raise all their birds. They do not buy from other farmers to fill the orders. When they run out they are out for the season. They also preserve a huge array of heritage seeds and sweet potatoes. I know of no other hatchery that raises as many rare breeds AND raises several hundred varieties of vegetables for seed.

I agree. Glenn is a great friend of mine. I have sent him Cubalayas in the past to get the weight up on his. I have also raised corn for him.

Most birds you receive from Glenn will require work to get them up to the Standard in some way or another. However, for many years he was the ONLY source for some old and rare breeds. As a matter of fact, I think you will find that EVERY Redcap (that was the breed mentioned in the other post) in America today can be traced to Glenn at Sandhill.

Naturally birds coming from an individual breeder should be of better overall quality than the chicks coming from Sandhill. In today's world where everybody and their brother thinks they can breed chickens this is not necessarily the case.

Honestly, with many egg or meat breeds I'd feel better starting with Glenn's hatchery stock than with birds from somebody who's been breeding chicken a year or two. Glenn's won't be dearly as hard to get right!

At least Glenn own's a Standard.

Saladin, a few posts back you said that birds should be dubbed at the dark of the moon. Would that be now, or at the new moon or just after?

Back
Top Bottom