Old and Rare Breeds

Quote: Sorry, not a grammar Nazi, just a bit anal that's me!
hide.gif
Mille Fleur, french for thousand flowers. I can't help it, I'm crazy about spelling. I need someone to tie my hands behind my back . . .
wink.png

The penciled are bust, though. One cannot breed SOP males and females from the same mating. They are, indeed, different varieties.

I reread "The Book of the Hamburgs" by Frank Baum which goes over breeding the different colors of hamburgs, and he states:

"One good point in regard to this variety is that the same birds will breed fine birds of both sexes, if the stock is chosen with judgment. Some breeders use two sets, but we do not consider that they are required, and much prefer to breed from one yard. Of course, as we have said before, there will be, as in all varieties, some strains or families that produce better birds of one sex than the other; still, in this case there should be no great disparity in the quality of the male and female birds. However, as it is possible to breed very good show quality cockerels from hens with no quality of penciling at all, it is very necessary, in making up a yard for breeding, that the strain of the cock bird should be known to be a well-penciled one. The hens will speak for themselves."

Sorry, not a grammar Nazi, just a bit anal that's me!
hide.gif
Mille Fleur, french for thousand flowers. I can't help it, I'm crazy about spelling. I need someone to tie my hands behind my back . . .
wink.png

If you were really a grammer Nazi you'd have known the F should be capitalized as well-Mille Fleur

Sorry, not a grammar Nazi, just a bit anal that's me!
hide.gif
wink.png

I admit that I am a grammar AND spelling Nazi.
When I was working and union or company officials would put out letters or flyers with errors I couldn't help but correct them make multiple copies and post them everywhere. I could let a few go but at least one in every sentence drove me nuts. It makes reading very difficult.

I know, that's mean. But in a large factory environment everyone grows thick skin.

Last edited:
Well, at the end of the day it should be "mille fleurs"...ah the silly trivia....
Mille-fleur

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

This article does not cite any references or sources. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (December 2009)

Mille-fleurs (French), also in English millefleur or mille-fleur literally means "thousand flowers" and refers to a background made of many small flowers and plants. It was an especially popular motif in tapestry and other applied arts and crafts during the Middle Ages in Europe.
Since I am English - I used the Englishe version
lol.png

looks like we got us a whole bunch of "LANGUAGE" NAZIS HERE.

Back
Top Bottom