Old and Rare Breeds

I have givin mine Vetrex on cold damp weather periods on there combs
there are numerous types.
Coast Live oak and Interior Live oak will freeze In nevada. More the dry winds. You may get away with Canyon Live oak if you can find any. Virginia live oak can take the cold. The dry wind probably would damage it.

Pin Oak , English Oak , Sarlet and Red oak do well for sure.
I sell plants to Reno and Northern Nevada.

Thank you for this info. Do you sell to anywhere east of Reno?

Are the empordanesa flighty and will they fly out of their pens with wings unclipped?

Others will have to speak to the empordanesa as a flyer.

If they are anything like black penedesencas, they are flighty but definitely not flyers.
Since converting most of my holdings to blacks I've been able to build much shorter fences.
One building is primarily for brooding and young birds so it had a 2' fence. But from time to time it has housed a flock of mature roosters. They've never attempted to hop that fence.
Most of the rest of my fences are 3 and 4 foot. When not pressed, I've never had a Pene go over one.
On the other hand, if cornered they can fly straight up to the roof.

Out of all the thirty some breeds I've had, none have fit that mold.

Thank you for this info. Do you sell to anywhere east of Reno?
Fallon and Yerington. I have customers as far east as Elko but those customers bring in carriers instead of us on our trucks. I can hook you up with someone probably though. What part of Nevada you in?

Are the empordanesa flighty and will they fly out of their pens with wings unclipped?
I have no issues.I have lost 2 silver ameraucana in the last few weeks that flew out of my partially uncovered run.
The penedesenca and empordanesa have never had a issue. I used to keep Icelandics and always had issues with the hens flying into the trees and empordanesa / penedesenca runs but never the other way around

Fallon and Yerington. I have customers as far east as Elko but those customers bring in carriers instead of us on our trucks. I can hook you up with someone probably though. What part of Nevada you in?

I have no issues.I have lost 2 silver ameraucana in the last few weeks that flew out of my partially uncovered run.
The penedesenca and empordanesa have never had a issue. I used to keep Icelandics and always had issues with the hens flying into the trees and empordanesa / penedesenca runs but never the other way around

Sent you a PM

okay. the pen I'm planning to use has about 4'-5' fencing and im trying fo find a rare breed that fits this criteria.

1. can be used for chicken talks
2. have no problems being held.
3. wont fly out of pen unless attack by IE the evil cats around here.
4. (prefer but doesn't have to be...) something a bit colorful.
5. (same as 4 on ghe prefer) APA or ABA regonize.

okay. the pen I'm planning to use has about 4'-5' fencing and im trying fo find a rare breed that fits this criteria.

1. can be used for chicken talks
2. have no problems being held.
3. wont fly out of pen unless attack by IE the evil cats around here.
4. (prefer but doesn't have to be...) something a bit colorful.
5. (same as 4 on ghe prefer) APA or ABA regonize.

Langshan fits all that you described perfectly. I will point out that regardless of breed if you do not work with them #2 is going to be difficult.

The excursion into trees (both native and naturalized) is very relative to poultry.

When choosing breeds to keep seldom do people understand the importance of weather. Granted, we can 'push' breeds especially with modern housing; however, it a lot more sense to choose a breed that is suited for your climate.

Here's an example:
I rec'd a letter recently from south Texas. The fellow was extremely excited about getting into chickens (that's great!). He then related to me that his two breeds of choice were Redcaps and Scots Dumpies (I'm guessing he has a thing for all things Scot). I hated to bust his bubble but those are the last breeds I'd choose for south Texas. I'm not saying they couldn't make it there, but those birds were bred for the damp cool Lowlands and Highlands.... not south Texas!

We can 'make' breeds work that were not originally intended for our climates, but it's much easier to choose more suited breeds.
It just makes sense to me.

Back
Top Bottom