Old and Rare Breeds

They use it both ways there. I get what you are saying, but they do use them interchangeably. A lot of sites from Spain has them listed by the full name. Some just call them Prat Fowl.

And Leonada is the color. They have white Catalanas also. The Catalana or Prat fowl comes in two colors. I imagine it is like New Hampshire or New Hampshire Red. Everyone knows what everyone is talking about.
yes. I think Aviraut just has has the Leonada. at least thats all I see on there Facebook page and website. Though I can ask Dr. Francesch

yes. I think Aviraut just has has the Leonada. at least thats all I see on there Facebook page and website. Though I can ask Dr. Francesch
I would be curious to know if they did.

I liked the pictures of their birds. They have better Prat type than what we have. We do not really know what they are here.

I also liked their Partridge Pens. I always stop and look at them. I especially like them in that color.

I like all of the breeds from the area.

Last edited:
I would be curious to know if they did.

I liked the pictures of their birds. They have better Prat type than what we have. We do not really know what they are here.

I also liked their Partridge Pens. I always stop and look at them. I especially like them in that color.

I like all of the breeds from the area.
me too. For my area they are all superior breeds to about anything. with our heat and predators there is not much that can compare.
our Empordanesa are so rare here we really need to get some new blood in here.
We only have the white but in Spain there are others. one I would bring back for sure is the buff blue tail.

The Germans have a poultry club that includes all of the breeds from the area. They have them all grouped into one club, and it seams to have a following.

I would like to see that here, to include all of the Spanish breeds. When collectively they could have more support than they would have on their own. I think such an effort could help lend credibility to the non standard breeds and varieties as well as encourage support for the standardized breeds.
As a whole there is some interest, but each on their own does not have much of a following.

Some of the characteristics that appeal to people that keep Spanish breeds is common among them.

The Germans have a poultry club that includes all of the breeds from the area. They have them all grouped into one club, and it seams to have a following.

I would like to see that here, to include all of the Spanish breeds. When collectively they could have more support than they would have on their own. I think such an effort could help lend credibility to the non standard breeds and varieties as well as encourage support for the standardized breeds.
As a whole there is some interest, but each on their own does not have much of a following.

Some of the characteristics that appeal to people that keep Spanish breeds is common among them.
I think that is a great idea. I already built one website though lol and can't change the name.
However a club for the Catalan breeds or all of Spain will probably be the way we need to go.

I'm curious about tendency to be fliers and confinement for those with experience with other Spanish and Catalan breeds.
I've only raised Minorcas and Black Penedesencas, but for the Penes, I can literally confine them inside a 2' high fence. The Minorcas tend not to be fliers either.

I'm curious about tendency to be fliers and confinement for those with experience with other Spanish and Catalan breeds.
I've only raised Minorcas and Black Penedesencas, but for the Penes, I can literally confine them inside a 2' high fence. The Minorcas tend not to be fliers either.
I can't speak on the others but I have had
Black , Crele and Partridge Penedesenca and White Empordanesa and they do not fly at all.
I cover my runs to keep critters out not them in

Back
Top Bottom