Old and Rare Breeds

I am thinking something more along the lines something that has color. What I have been thinking is black copper marans, Basque, something like that. I appreciate the suggestions and help. I am really not familiar with all the new breeds out there but am willing to give them a try if I like them.

I am thinking something more along the lines something that has color. What I have been thinking is black copper marans, Basque, something like that. I appreciate the suggestions and help. I am really not familiar with all the new breeds out there but am willing to give them a try if I like them.
That is what it is about. Finding what you like. Everyone has different ideals, and the reason for so many breeds to begin with. We all think something is better.

You are only going to do well with what you enjoy.

Saladin would not enjoy his yard as much with a bunch of pretty fluffy Orpingtons. LOL.

That is what it is about. Finding what you like. Everyone has different ideals, and the reason for so many breeds to begin with. We all think something is better.

You are only going to do well with what you enjoy.

Saladin would not enjoy his yard as much with a bunch of pretty fluffy Orpingtons. LOL.

Yeah you are right I had game fowl longer than anything and that is all I knew but once I had to get rid of them all I missed having chickens around. I found this site and saw the SFH and found someone to help me obtain them. I like "different" stuff to work with I have plenty of room for 3-4 breeds easily. The SFH is breed #1 now I am looking for the next. I prefer a decent sized bird that is calm natured, not mean or flighty, and looks good. Maybe I can get some offers from people and I can meet up with them and buy some from them. I like getting different offers and opinions because you never know what all is out there.

There is a breeder in Colorado who has the main bunch of Breda. He bought up the original import from Greenfire.
Do you happen to know who this guy in Colorado with the Breda might be? I'd be interested in getting with him since I have found some very interesting color genetics in my Breda flock............

Guy what color eggs did the crosses lay?
I seem to recall they were a cream color. (Minorcas lay white eggs). I sold her to a friend but the last 2 eggs I got were 82 grams and 94 grams.

On the same topic. I had a Welsummer that laid a very dark egg but her daughter from a Penedesenca rooster laid a normal brown egg. It just goes to show how complicated egg color genetics is. I'm assuming some of the genes cancelled each other out.

Minorcas have been in the APA since 1888.

Do you happen to know who this guy in Colorado with the Breda might be? I'd be interested in getting with him since I have found some very interesting color genetics in my Breda flock............

Waltz's Ark is in CO. When I went to it though it wasn't the site that I remembered reading and it didn't mention the buying of all of the Greenfire imports. So I am not 100% that this is the guy with the original stock.

If you are getting Mottled birds, it is being reported by several breeders of Breda. It must have been lurking under the black as a recessive.

Back
Top Bottom