Old and Rare Breeds

I have never tried using the Vaseline... I have heard that it can get messy very fast.

My single comb birds, just the roosters, tend to have their thin points on the comb freeze off, and the front edge of their wattles. But always mild enough that they have required no treatment. (Because of that, I am switching to tiny combed birds)

I would think that 20F would be lovely warm even for the single comb Nankins. HOWEVER, the issue would be that since you live in a place where 20 is considered horridly cold, you run the rusk of buttoning up the coop, reducing ventilation drastically, and that would cause frostbite and probable respiratory issues as well. It tends to be just the knee jerk natural reaction.

So, as long as you keep LOTS of ventilation, I am sure the single comb Nankins will be healthy and happy with you in lovely Virginia! :D

K, I'll leave them be this winter and see how things go. I kind of thought the Vaseline would get pretty messy, I'd imagine dirt and all kinds of stuff would stick to it and make a big, nasty mess.

For those of you interested in old and rare breeds of fowl: whether it be breeding, locating stock, or just an interesting read.

Many today refer to heritage or heirloom breeds of fowl. Nothing in the world wrong with those words; they are real eye-cathchers, but they are not well defined. Many times they are refering to Modern Breeds that have been created since 1900.

There are truly Ancient Breeds of fowl that are included in our APA Standard that need breeders across the country. These would include:

Asil

Dorkings

Malays

Old English (Large Fowl)

Nankins

Pyncheons

There are also many others that are not presently in the Standard.

Further, there are many Old Breeds which are excellent utility fowl that need help as well. These would include:

Creves

LaFleche

Houdan

Java

Polish

Red Caps

Shamo

Sussex

There are others too, but you get the pictures.

Some of the Modern Breeds that are in need of breeders include:

Cubalaya

Delaware

Holland

etc.

I'm in hopes that you'll write about the breed you keep or ask questions before you acquire stock.

Where a written standard for your breed of choice does not exist in the US, hopefully we will be able to provide you with one from the country of origin.
I
Thank you for this post, my grandfather and I are in the process of takeing on a few old,rare breeds and bringing them into fruitful and reliable flocks to share and continue their legacies.its truly sad when a bird is no more and or soon to be forgotten :( like a book shares the essence of its author and its story lives on only if it's kept in the bookshelf safe...will these beautiful creatures live forever . I plan to keep my birds full,clean and in an accurate environment for lasting enjoyment for generations to come, just as my bookshelves ( I have 5 just in the family room :) ) hold tight my favorite adventures!
If you have not noticed yet, I'm cuckoo for books & the moment my 7 chicks hatched in front of me...I fell head over heels with chickens,a love I never even knew was inside of me. Anyhoo sorry for a random novel here, I only intended to share my gratitude for writing this post above, you must care or why would you've shared ;) right?
Thank you again!

I'm currently searching for any information on Breda fowl. It seems they were popular around the Civil War but have since pretty much disappeared form the US. I am aware of a couple of breeders - are there any peeps here who raise this beautiful bird?

That sounds like a good little experiment, keep us posted on how it goes
smile.png
It may have to January or February cause the long range forecast isn't calling for deep freezes any time soon but this would probably be a good year for the experiment.

I’m in search of a rare or old breed that lays white eggs and is broody. Would love any suggestions.

Saladin listed some good choices in the very first post on this thread.

For white eggs I can add some others not on his list.
Jaerhons, nice small thrifty bird that lays well and can handle heat and extreme cold.
Campine - critical

Mediterranean breeds:
Andalusians - old, threatened
White faced black Spanish - critical
Minorca in colors other than black (white and buff) - Huge white eggs
Pita Pinta (tinted egg)
Ancona - watch
Catalana - watch
Sicilian buttercup - threatened

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom