Old Busy Body needed something to complain about, and my roosters are it.

mini-micro rancher

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 12, 2011
SW Oregon
I am trying to keep my temper right now, and I need some advice. We live in a neighborhood outside the city limits. We live in a certain section of urban growth boundary that is not completely annexed. My grumpy old man neighbor, who moved here saying he looooved chickens and was so excited to live nearby, said he went to all our neighbors and asked if our roosters bothered them. MY SON'S ROOM IS RIGHT BY THE COOP. He sleeps through it. He and another neighbor came to the front door, after they stirred up the hornet's nest with the other neighbors, and complained. Said they went to their relatives house so they could visit but also so they could sleep. Hello! Take out your hearing aide! I have to repeat everything to him when I talk to him, so there is no way he can hear the rooster. My husband and I are going to fully research this before we do anything. I think I have it right when I interpret it to say that the only issue on the books is noise. I had the light set to come on so the hens would lay, but now it comes on much later.

If I have to do these rooster in, I'm tempted to do it out in the front yard, while they are outside.

HELP! Why do people move into neighborhoods where they KNOW there are chickens and then COMPLAIN????

I have had a situation with a neighbor as well. I live in the city limits in a neighborhood, but without any restrictions. I have four hens now, but had three at the time my neighbor from 3 houses down called the cops on me! I found this out from my neighbor that is behind us. Her house is actually closer to my coop that my house is. She heard from some other neighborhood gals that were at this bitties home for a wine and girls night and she said this woman was complaining about the smell??? Let me remaind you she is 3 houses down and across the st. (she can however see whats going on in the back yard. I have a corner lot w/o a privacy fence) So apparently she has been bi**ching to my other neighbors hope to get a few neighbors to complain too. But they are not bothered by them. My neighbor has NEVER smelled anything. She should know she is closest to the coop. (that gets cleaned every AM I might add)
She could not get other neighbors to complain to me about my 3 hens, so she decided to call the cops. Who quickly let her know that I was not breaking any laws. I checked the laws even before I moved into this house. I can have up to 15 hens if I had the room. This old lady just feels that chickens should not be in a neighbordood setting. Even if there are no laws agaist this growing hobby. Some folks are just never happy. Well no eggs for her! Enjoy your birds!

Tomorrow I am going to take a half dozen eggs to the closest sets of neighbors and talk to them about the roosters. Should I take 'one blue chick' (one week old) with me? They, the roosters, are friendly and eat peanuts from my hands. We are using them to breed Marans (one is a splash and the other is a black copper). We have changed the setting on their lights and don't let them out until around and after 7 am. Most days they only live in their run, but I let them free range on the weekends and during the summer on days when I know I will be outside long enough to keep them out of the garden.

I wish this guy had never moved here. He is such a jerk. We live in a quiet and super safe neighborhood and this 'dou__e' installs an UGLY METAL security door, and then complains about how much the door was. Really? We NEVER get unwanted visitors (unless it is him) in our neighborhood.

I can't stand people that complain when there is obviously no justifiable reason. Some people are miserable for one reason or another and because of that, they feel the urge to complain and make other people miserable too.
I'm sure the day will come when someone complains about me..... Anyways, I wouldnt want roosters in a neighborhood. Its just asking for all the complainers to come out of the woodwork.

As long as you are legal to have roosters where you live then it doesn't matter if the neighbor doesn't like it. However, if you are not legal and the neighbor's complain, you don't have much recourse.

In my town because there's still a lot of farms fro when it was mostly a farming community has no chicken ordinance or any live stock ordinance because then the farms wouldn't be allowed to have chickens. Even though the city we are a suburb of does. If my neighbors can handle a jet liner coming by every 5 minutes they have no right to ***** if I had a rooster. itd be like complaining about the planes because they moved near an airport thinking how pretty itd be to see all the planes. Plus most of my neighbors dogs are louder and one has parrots even that caw at all hours of the day and night and no one gives a **** so again no right to complain if I owned a rooster. Hell because of the unique zoning not only do some people in the burbs who's big half or less or more acre plots they have goats and moo cows

Do you know if Roosters are within the Law in your area? Or does your neighborhood have any restrictions as well. If not I would tell him to saw it off. Eggs to your closest neighbors always makes more tolerant too. Good luck!

The ordinance says poultry is okay. Just like that. Poultry. No regs about hens/rooster or amounts. The only problem I can see is our 'nuisance noise' law. I changed the timer to come on at 7 am and go off at 8 pm. The chickens will put themselves to bed by the tube lights that are still on while the coop is brighter. Some of them sleep outside the coop on a roost anyway--but not the roosters. I literally back up to five to fifteen acre plots and a rangy old chunk of land that belongs to one of the first families in the county, and probably will forever since the old lady refused to sell even when prices were high. My coop is against the back fence, and the nearest neighbor in that direction is easily five acres away. My MOM lives closer to her neighbors, and she is in the 'country.' We are going to 'egg up' love the nice neighbors and let Mr. Douche doing his thing. And again, HOW can he hear? He can't even hear me when I am five feet away!

I have almost 2 week old chicks right now. I may or may not have a roo in the bunch. If I did, I would probably keep him. My across the street neighbor has a half wolf dog that howls. Next door house is empty for sale, and 2 houses over they keep a little yippy dog in the back yard that yip yips all day and night. It sometime sounds ungodly. I dare them to say anything if I should have a rooster.
smack.gif

I have almost 2 week old chicks right now. I may or may not have a roo in the bunch. If I did, I would probably keep him. My across the street neighbor has a half wolf dog that howls. Next door house is empty for sale, and 2 houses over they keep a little yippy dog in the back yard that yip yips all day and night. It sometime sounds ungodly. I dare them to say anything if I should have a rooster.
smack.gif

So exactly like my story! The house next to me (where Mr. Poop Stirrer now lives) was empty for over two years. 2/3 of a mile away is Summer Jo's and they have dozens and dozens of chickens. My neighbors in front of me (I live on a flag lot) moved in with two wiener dogs, and now has three. Yip! Yip! At my side yard, where my garden is, they have an American bulldog that has received ZERO obedience training and is a barking nuisance and has killed a chick who managed to make it over the six foot fence (and surprised me--lesson learned). In front of the grumpy neighbor is a big dog who barks all day long. NONE of them are the one who should cast the first stone. Oh, and behind me? Mr. Bamboo planter listed above, and his neighbor who 'grows' in his barn, and it's NOT a legal grow. His young adult son rips up the road behind my back fence with his brights on at all hours of the night, and the rooster crows at him.

Back
Top Bottom