Old Coop Cleanup

BrianT

Songster
9 Years
May 15, 2010
North FL
I have an old coop that has been sitting for about a year since I built a bigger one. I have 3 new birds that will soon be big enough to move from the brooder. What is the best way to get the coop cleaned up and free of any potential health hazards for the new birds?

remove all old manure, shavings, cobs webs and dust. scrape and broom everything, get in all the nooks and crannies, scrub water, feeders. when finished spray oxine, if you can't get your hands on oxine use a mix of bleach and water, make sure you get in the cracks around the roosts and corners. when dry replace shavings, feeders and waters. Done

Quote:
Thank you.

thumbsup.gif

They're just chickens. Why would you need to go through a whole sterilization routine? I'd clean out the old bedding, dust out the cob webs, and put them in with clean bedding. I have the same situation coming up and that's what I will do.

Quote:
Disease micro orginasms build up over time. The vet told me to clorox everything , the ceiling the floor the grounds of the run etc. I had disease in my flock once and believe me you do not want it in your hens when it is avoidable. Also cocci builds up fast. You can cover a run in dolimitic lime stone dust and rake it in. It will help get rid of some of the cocci and help with odor control. Don't be lax this is not the time. A few extra moments can really pay off.
I am in the process of cleanning a hugh area after I lost my hens to disease. I think it came in by eggs. don't make my first mistake. Do it right the first time. Gloria Jean

Last edited:
Quote:
Disease micro orginasms build up over time. The vet told me to clorox everything , the ceiling the floor the grounds of the run etc. I had disease in my flock once and believe me you do not want it in your hens when it is avoidable. Also cocci builds up fast. You can cover a run in dolimitic lime stone dust and rake it in. It will help get rid of some of the cocci and help with odor control. Don't be lax this is not the time. A few extra moments can really pay off.
I am in the process of cleanning a hugh area after I lost my hens to disease. I think it came in by eggs. don't make my first mistake. Do it right the first time. Gloria Jean

exactilly, I've never had disease show up but i disinfect every time i put a new flock of chickens in, plus when you disinfect like that you get rid of lice/mites and other nasties. a clean slate is always best

Back
Top Bottom