Old coop dangers for chicks...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by max13077, Apr 4, 2009.

1. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

I recently moved my three 1 year old hens to a small coop to prepare for the arrival of a batch of new chicks I plan on raising in the newly vacated coop. I cleaned it out really well and sanitized it with 10% bleach.

Last night, today, and tonight we've been battered by an intense winter storm that's dumped 6" of wet snow on us. As if the snow isn't bad enough, the winds have been blowing steady at 30, while gusting to 60!!! The new little coop I built the girls couldn't handle it. It was never made for winter weather. So I had to move the girls back into the old coop.

I hope the weather breaks soon. The chicks are due the 13th. My question is, if I don't have time, or the weather doesn't break soon, is is possible to have the chicks in a old coop that has not been sanitized again? I'll clean it and vacuum it out again, but I'm not sure looking at the forecast, it would have a chance to dry out the proper amount of time from sanitizing.

I'm really worried. Should I formulate plans to start the chicks inside for a couple weeks?

2. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    The odors from cleaning chemicals can be pretty intense, so it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to start the chicks indoors just until the weather clears.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by