old coop needs siding need some ideas

ctjim

Songster
12 Years
Jun 9, 2007
lebanon,ct
the old coop that i had on my property when i got it, needs some new siding, as it has some holes in it. the previous owners used 3/8 in plywood and some other wood strips to make the siding look like board/batton, it was never painted until i got there, but over the years the ply wood has started to rot on the north side, and the rest has seen better days as well. i was planning on using some pressure treated plywood for the north side and just regular plywood for the rest then put on some batten strips to make it look just like it is now, i'm trying to do it as low cost as possible. i do have some board /batten that i think will cover the south side left over from another project. also i'm not planning to remove the old plywood just the trim/batten and just side right over the exsisting plywood. thanks for any ideas,jim

Do your upgrades and something that I've seen lately is Black tarpaper with slats or strapping verticle every foot or two. If you live in a cold area, it will heat nicely in winter.
Another thing is shingles. It will give double insulation for hot and cold.

Good luck!

After you replace the rotted wood, one option is to put Typar/Tyvek over it and clad the outside. The Typar will keep the wood intact for eons. Now, the down side is that it comes in 100' rolls, which was perfect for us since we're re-clading the entire barn over the next few years, but it might be a lot for a coop. It leaves the building breathing but draft free.

(shown in our home page below)
cool.png

I used a sheet product known as "Smart Siding" on my coop. It is available from HD.

It is a chip-board product made with exterior grade glue. One side comes "textured" to resemble nice wood siding. They also have 4" moulding available.

Best parts for me is that it was pre-primed so it took only one coat of paint and it was much lighter and easier to handle than plywood.

Price per sheet was only ~ $22 which in my area was nearly half of what PT plywood costs.

Whichever option you choose I would also try to figue why the current siding failed in the first place. How is the drainage off the roof? Installing a piece of drip edge or maybe even a small gutter would help keep the rain from running down the side. Also be certain the water isn't pooling around your foundation as any wood product sitting in water will 'wick' that moisture right up into the siding and eventually cause rot.

Hope this helps.

the north side wood is failing as it never sees the light of day to "dry "things out plus there was a rasberry patch there which was overgrown on the coop, i have cut the berries way back and have them trained on some wire now.the roof b4 i replaced had holes and i believe the water just pooled up in that corner/back side. the rest of the wood/frame on the north side is still good.

That 'bad' side should be fine afterwards, then. I like the idea of smart siding, haven't seen it here, must ask more about it. We were lucky enough to have the original cedar siding to replace over the Typar on the barn walls, saved us many $$$.

well this past sun. i finished siding the old coop. i purchased some 3/8in t-111 from my local hd some of the peices were warped very badly so i complained to them and got a bit of a discount. the total bill including nails and a few extra hardware pieces was under just under $200. i also was able to get some lumber covers from a local lumber yard which i used as tyveck, the covers are basically the same material as tyveck. they're used to cover the bundles of 2x4's and other lumber during shipping. hopefully the weather will hold out and i'll get it painted b4 winter. i'll try and get some pics up soon.

Back
Top Bottom