old dog.....new puppy?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by RockyPhoenix, Jul 8, 2010.

1. RockyPhoenix

RockyPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    North Liberty
    we had to put my dog of 11 years down today... [​IMG] and i was wondering when to get a new puppy because i heard it helps the healing process....so how long should we wait? thanks.

2. HenPen

HenPen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    How long you wait is a matter of personal opinion....I have known people to get one right away and others that it took months or years before they could have another dog. The right time is when you and your family are ready. I am sorry for your loss and I wish you well finding your new family member.

3. duck walk

duck walk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    white springs, fl
    I am sorry you had to do that...it is never easy...it is all a matter of how you feel about it...there is no dishonor in getting a puppy right away and your lost dog would not want you to be sad...a new puppy is a great healer...my process is to have four dogs of staggared ages...when one goes I am not alone or without a dog...I have a five year old, a three, a two and a 15 weeks with me right now...last fall I lost a 13 year old and hence the new baby who is great great gran daughter of the 13 year old I lost...it is a family group...

But to the point, everyone processes these loses differently...how do you feel about it? If you are up for a pup, go for it...

4. Karrie13

Karrie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    It all depends on when YOU are ready. When I lost my first Rottie, I didn't get another dog for about a year. I just plain wasn't ready. But I had to have my son's best friend put down (yellow lab) on June 14th I picked him up a new puppy on june 11 before I took his old dog in. The two dogs never met and my son wasn't allowed near his dog for 2 1/2 weeks. The puppy made things easier for him to handle. She was a big comfort to him while I was at the vet.

5. allanimals21

allanimals21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    MN
    when the dog here died on friday night here at the in laws we/they had picked put a puppy on sunday already.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Sorry for your loss. I know how much it hurts. [​IMG]

When we had to put my beloved Charlie Girl down last summer I stood right there in the vet's office and swore over and over that I would never have another dog.
    The day after we buried Charlie I adopted a siamese cat from the shelter. I had been wanting a siamese since losing my other one Bekka four years before. KiKi is nice and sweet and we provide her with a loving home, but she will never replace Bekka.
    Then about a week after we lost Charlie, fate brought a german shepherd puppy in need of a good home into our lives. We adore Jax and him and his brother (Kane, a pup from the same breeder that we got when Jax was 9 months old) and they have helped us heal.
    I don't think the healing will ever be complete though. I found DH sitting at the computer last night, looking at pics of Charlie, and crying. She was without a doubt the world's most special dog to us.

Get a pup when you are ready and don't let anyone tell you there is a right time or a wrong time. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by