Old English or American Game Bantam?

Natureluv

In the Brooder
Mar 14, 2019
DE281E7B-42C0-4D84-8392-7F700E1A98D7.jpeg
3F413143-8295-4174-88DF-93A1CD16608F.jpeg
68016070-0444-44A0-9959-FD6764071E38.jpeg
We inherited a chicken coop with the home we purchased last fall. The listing agent said there were chickens but they were gone by the time we saw the house. However, there was a wild chicken (and turkey & peacock) that kept coming around all winter and eventually I caught them in our coop. The chicken is unlike any I’ve seen before but I think it’s either American or Old English Game Banty. Can anyone help? It’s tail sometimes appears like a fan, but at other times is more bunched together. It is missing a few tail feathers from the middle when viewed from the side.
Thanks in advance

Welcome to BYC! :welcome That is a cool looking Birchen chicken!! Can't believe you tamed her. It is hard to see how big she is.............Old English game Bantams are very small. Their tails aren't quite that big, nor are they that "lanky", they are usually more small and compact. She is probably a mix. There is a chance she is an American Game, but I just haven't seen enough of them to identify them. Good luck!

Thanks! I’m not sure how to describe her size. I grew up with Rhode Island Red and she is definitely smaller than that. Her eggs are pretty small too. She does appear a bit lanky. I’m not sure if that’s her normal build or the result of running wild for half a year or more.

Thanks for your thoughts. She must be a mix then. She doesn’t look as tall (to me) as the game hen photos I’ve seen. I asked at another website that helps with chicken identification, and they thought she looks like an Egyptian Fayoumi. She matches that breed’s size and shape fairly well but they appear to only have white/silver coloring.
So not sure what she is, but we are enjoying her and the eggs she is producing

Back
Top Bottom