Old enough for outside ???

Are they ready for outside?

• Yes

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only when above a certain temp (feel free to share your "cutoff" temps)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mine is built with an arched shape that allows them to wedge in around the edges or move to a cooler area in the middle. Comfy chicks with ambient temps in the teens! There's a whole thread about it if you're interested. Just search heating pad.

Last edited:
I'm gonna share this pic I saved from PD riverman. I use a similar setup with a cardboard box. I like his better because it has a skirt and is raised off the ground which I believe is to,keep chicks from being piled on and smashed. I like his design. If and when I go larger with my flock I'll do the same. It's a barrel split in two with a lightbulb and a skirt. My dad tought me the box trick and this is an upgrade on the same principle. Two nights ago it was raining like crazy and 35 degrees, other nights it's been below freezing. My box is in the coop outside with two week olds and they are happy as can be.

That is hands down the best "new" idea that i have seen in a really long time..and I happen to have several old barrels just sitting around (knew my barrel racing days would come in handy..lol)

Debid explained it as good as i could, but search on here and YouTube. I use heavy duty wire and then this thick human medical tape foam stuff to tape the edges, then heating pads, then tuck the whole thing in a brooder with towels. I cannot speak for any one else, but my chicks are (normally) quiet, feather out faster and of course smarter but tbats just their moms opinion ;)

And of course, ya'll knew this last night..but everyone was perfectly fine this morning. Took a little while coming down to the run but every happily talking to the big girls and boys and digging away like theyve been out there since hatch <3

Quote:
Not to go off topic of the original point, but how do your chicks feather out now compared to using a lamp? I never used a lamp..well take that back, did on my first group WAY back when, but heating pads ever since. But, it seems to me that mine feather out faster than others of the same age. When I go to swaps, even if some one has the exact same breed and very close to the same age, mine always look "more mature". Not necessarily bigger, just further along. They are definitely more quiet when raised under the H.P. hen than a light. Just curious what your experience was..

Quote:
I dont know if you can see them in the one pic, but I use those 12x12 grid panels for like storage to make roosts for the babies.. I can make them into almost size or shape. I wonder if one of those wrapped in cardboard would be more sturdy? Each panel clicks together with these corner pieces and they will hold up to some serious abuse. I also use zip ties as an extra precaution. I have a smaller (ie younger) group that is probably ready to go out(especially after seeing every one elses out much younger :oops: ) but maybe I could do something like that for the bottom of the pen and then keep their heating pad moms up top... wheels are turning in my old rusty brain...

Last edited:
Ok..so..usuallyI brood late spring thru late summer and never have to worry about temps when I move the babies outside. However, I am beyond ready for this group ti be outside. I have 4BR babies that REFUSE to stay in the brooder and will jump out, comr out of the chick room and hunt me down wherever i am in the house. Im not sure exactly how old they are, but around 6 weeks. They will have their heating pad mom in their outside coop as well. Hopefully I'm attaching a pic of our forecast and the babies..

I've had mine outside with the heating pad from the start and my temps are way lower and my chicks are only four weeks now. You can definitely put them out!

Quote:
Do you keep food and water inside or outside the box? And how soon do you use that(chick age wise). When you first set it up with young babies, do you have to make their area smaller or do they automatically go back to it? This set up reminds me very much about a picture I found in this book.. its sorta same thing but 100% reusable for years and made of wood..let me see if I can find it

Quote:
I agree, and more so if you are brooding them outside. With my current chicks I had to split them all up because I have so many. I have some under lamps inside, some under pads on the porch (non climate controlled but enclosed), and some under heating pads in the outdoor brooder. The ones in the outdoor brooder are MUCH more feathered (well, except for the one polish for some reason - do they feather slower in general?).

Back
Top Bottom