Old farmers trick I found works weel on keeping water from freezing in winter

the girls club

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 15, 2013
If you have electric to your coop. I have a single cement block. The ones that are open in center. I put a light fixture that has a cord for a light bulb in it I screw a light bulb in the fixture and put the block a round the fixture and p-lug the fixture in . You can set your water on top of the block and your water does not freeze.. Has worked in the harshest of winters with out fail. Just have to make sure the light bulb doesn't burn out. I have a cement floor in my coop

Sounds like a grate idea. Do you tie it down so that they don't spill it and burst the bulb? I have large fowl birds and they always want to roost on everything, including their water pan. I think this is a good idea, I'll figure the rest out. Thanks for sharing.

I have heard of the Concrete Block/light bulb for heating water in the past. I think I will try it when the temps get down below 32 for a while.
I have a 3 gal bucket with nipples on it that the hens used all summer, but they don't seem interested in it anymore........so I have been using the bottom 4" of a 5 gal bucket for watering.
Question......would the bucket bottom be fine sitting on the cinder block with light bulb under it? I assume this plastic is tough enough to withstand heat, plus the water in it wouldn't allow it to heat up too much.
Any help or experience with this will be appreciated.
ccat1.

I have heard of the Concrete Block/light bulb for heating water in the past.  I think I will try it  when the temps get down below 32 for a while.
I have a 3 gal bucket with nipples on it that the hens used all summer, but they don't seem interested in it anymore........so I have been using the bottom 4" of a 5 gal bucket for watering.
Question......would the bucket bottom be fine sitting on the cinder block with light bulb under it?   I assume this plastic is tough enough to withstand heat, plus the water in it wouldn't allow it to heat up too much.
Any help or experience with this will be appreciated.
ccat1.

I personally would not do the plastic bucket.

Yeah, it would work, but I wouldn't have that in my coop. I don't like the idea, of an exposed light bulb, and water, in close proximity to each other. A better and safer idea, is the cookie tin water fount warmer. The bulb is enclosed inside the tin, and protected from accidental water splashes, and everything else.

If you want to get really fancy you can add a Thermo Cube to automatically shut off the light:

Farm Innovators Model TC-3 Cold Weather Thermo Cube Thermostatically Controlled Outlet - On at 35-Degrees/Off at 45-Degrees

Back
Top Bottom