Old Fashion Broody Duck Thread 2015 Edition

Tomorrow is day 20 of Sally nesting! We're getting close to the hatch date! Is there anything I need to look for or do to get ready for the babies? Does the mother duck know when they're going to hatch? Is she going to give me any signs, or keep me guessing? I can't wait!

Last edited:
Tomorrow is day 20 of Sally nesting! We're getting close to the hatch date! Is there anything I need to look for or do to get ready for the babies? Does the mother duck know when they're going to hatch? Is she going to give me any signs, or keep me guessing? I can't wait!
Close to hatch she'll probably stay closer to nest. then when hatching starts she will not leave at all until they hatch. Put food and water close by so first to hatch can find it easy while mama still sits. other than that just make sure they are safe and wait. lol

Today is day 27 and the duckies are finally hatching!! It started at 5pm today and I noticed around 7 we had our first little duckling! The rest will probably hatch through out the night, of course it didn't happen earlier today they wanted to make me nervous all night!

Also my drake Charlie doesn't seem to care at all about the new babies. He'll come into the coop when I'm near to see what I'm up to but he doesn't go near Sally and her babies. She's also being extremely protective of them so everything is going good so far!

Also my drake Charlie doesn't seem to care at all about the new babies. He'll come into the coop when I'm near to see what I'm up to but he doesn't go near Sally and her babies. She's also being extremely protective of them so everything is going good so far!
Congrats on the ducklings, but please don't let your guard down with Charlie it's when the ducklings begin running around that problems can start and it can happen fast. Mom will not protect her ducklings from the drake.

I definitely don't trust him, and I have a separate area ready if I need to separate them. I'm keeping a close eye on him and the mom. We got two more ducklings this morning

Last edited:
I can't believe it but all of the eggs hatched, and the last one hatched last night at 8:30! I think I counted 13 not sure yet, it's like a black blob under her! Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom