Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Ok thanks, I will do that.

Update: I candled about 6 eggs, some had nothing going on, some I couldn't tell, and some had definite development. I think tomorrow I'll candle them all and mark the air spaces/etc. Then candle again in a few days to see if anything changed. And maybe move the nest & hen into private quarters.
Looking forward to hearing how many are viable...
caf.gif

Ok everyone Miss Mini is still sitting on her eggs , They will be on day 20/21 on Jan 20th . Is there anything I need to do for her. She is in a pet taxi with a food and water dish and I let her out once or twice a day to poop and stretch and scratch around for like 10 minutes or so . I was thinking In a day or two I would change her bedding and re candle the eggs when she gets out of the nest. But does she need anything else. Will the babies being serama be able to fit thru the gaps in the door? Thanks.

Ok everyone Miss Mini is still sitting on her eggs , They will be on day 20/21 on Jan 20th . Is there anything I need to do for her. She is in a pet taxi with a food and water dish and I let her out once or twice a day to poop and stretch and scratch around for like 10 minutes or so . I was thinking In a day or two I would change her bedding and re candle the eggs when she gets out of the nest. But does she need anything else. Will the babies being serama be able to fit thru the gaps in the door? Thanks.
So close and very exciting. as far as slipping through the door I can't say I know they are pretty tiny. Sounds like you have everything under control, do you have starter for chicks? other than that looks like you have it covered. Remember the chicks won't eat for the first couple of days after hatch so don't get worried if you don't see them eating or drinking. Keep us updated!! Also Mama is going to want to take them out in about 3 days do you have someplace ready for them. She will make a mess of the pet taxi. she'll scratch the shaving into the water and feed too. you may want to find something bigger to move them to by day 3.

I honestly don't think my broody is eating at all.
I know people have said that they will when they need to but sheesh. she hasn't even made a single mess in her cage in 5 days and I really don't think she is eating.

it is hard not to worry.

Last edited:
They dont eat very much sitting on eggs. But look out after they all hatch she will eat everything she can get her beak on!! :) This is why it is important not to let them brood to often they dont get a chance to gain weight back before they stop eating again.

One very disgruntled broody and thirty eggs later, we have a tally. This is with a regular houshold flashlight so a lot of these it was really hard to see anything.

11 - development started
- 2 of those had opaque action. 1 was cracked from the inside on the fat end, but on the very end not on the side, and it stinks so I don't think that is pipped.
- 2 others had blood rings
8 - nothing going on
11 - I just couldn't tell. Shell too dark, etc.

If you were going to move a broody and her eggs, when would you do it?
Our nesting boxes are raised and while there's no chance of an egg rolling out (there is a lip on the edge) I'm worried that baby chicks will fall out/ won't be able to get down to food/water....
She's only been sitting for 3 days and this is her first ever time going broody, so I'm a little reluctant...

One very disgruntled broody and thirty eggs later, we have a tally. This is with a regular houshold flashlight so a lot of these it was really hard to see anything.

11 - development started
- 2 of those had opaque action. 1 was cracked from the inside on the fat end, but on the very end not on the side, and it stinks so I don't think that is pipped.
- 2 others had blood rings
8 - nothing going on
11 - I just couldn't tell. Shell too dark, etc.
So how many did you end up leaving under broody? sounds like you had a chance to cut the numbers down, which is good for first time mama.

Back
Top Bottom