Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

miss mini came out at last to check out her new digs
Here she is decideing if the camra was a threat or not
She told that cat to take a hike and he did lol
back on her eggs and giveing me the eye

While she was out I did a quick candle and all of them have movement and are pretty full up . 3 to 5 days to go whoot

Last edited:
Shoot, I just started a thread when I should have posted my question here but I am going to repost them here sorry if anyone wasted there time reading both.

Once a hen goes broody how long do you have to order and have eggs delivered...do you ever get a shipment of eggs after the hen changes her mind?

How do you coordinate a hen hatching her own fertile eggs with eggs you are getting from outside sources. I mean if she lays fertile eggs on Monday goes broody on Tuesday and I order eggs from someone on Wednesday will her eggs be viable when those eggs arrive several days later?? Or should I just plan on any broody mamas hatching either their own OR others' eggs.

Thank you!

Once you are certain a hen is broody keep em broody with falsies. They cant tell time. There are a few here that had broodies sitting for 30 or more days.

Coordinating is simple.... Wait till the hen goes broody then buy the eggs. It takes a couple of days to determine if they are broody it just doesnt happen over night. ONce the hen is setting and has definately stopped laying eggs is the only way to determine if they are broody. So simple but not quick. but you have time.

deb

Thanks, nice to know I can keep them broody until new eggs come. Also it does seem easier to just count on her either hatching her own brood or becoming a surrogate for others. Thanks for the advice.

We were down to 5 eggs tonight
sad.png
I don't know what to do
If your worried about broody, eggs or chicks, go put your hand under mama broody it's toasty under there.

Ok I have a question for yall. I have a broody silkie sitting on several eggs and due any day to hatch. My coop is an Ark type and her nest is at the top. Would you move it or leave it be and let mother nature do its job? I guess I'm concerned they may fall out of the top even tho there is a ramp. The others don't bother her too much and quite frankly since sitting on these eggs (her first) she's become a little more assertive with the flock which is too funny since she is tiny.

Ok I have a question for yall. I have a broody silkie sitting on several eggs and due any day to hatch. My coop is an Ark type and her nest is at the top. Would you move it or leave it be and let mother nature do its job? I guess I'm concerned they may fall out of the top even tho there is a ramp. The others don't bother her too much and quite frankly since sitting on these eggs (her first) she's become a little more assertive with the flock which is too funny since she is tiny.
Does the nest box have a lip? if not you might want to add one and make it high enough to keep the chicks in for a few days, then on about day 3 remove the higher one so mom can bring babies out, have some deep bedding under the nest box just in case chicks don't make it all the way down the ramp and fall off they will land on something soft. Not sure if she'll take them back to nest after they leave, some do and some don't so you'll have to keep an eye out just in case you have to help some of the chicks navigate the ramp for the first couple days, then they should be able to do the ramp okay. most important is that chicks don't get separated from mom so they can warm up when need to. Update when hatch starts please.

I am definitely experiencing some pre coop building angst, so some support/feedback would be appreciated. My current coop is too small to work with broody hens.I can't walk into it. I can't decide or commit to a permanent coop location and would like to keep my flock of 20 (2 roosters and 18 hens) together. So a shed type, "fresh air" coop on skids, that can be pulled by my pickup, is what I am designing. There will be three skids, one running down the middle of the coop which may be as large as 10 by 14. And I have been told that I need spacer bars/blocks in between the skids to keep the skids in line. Each skid would be 2 2by4's attached and of course cut an anlges on the ends. I might use 2 by 6's. Problem - for new born chicks the skids would be barriers. Turned on edge that is 3.5 inches high, of course higher if I use 2 by 6's. I know putting a floor in the coop solves the problem, but I don't want that either. I envision temporary ramps over the skids that the chicks can't figure out. I know this sounds crazy. I know mom's call must be very compelling, but how old would a chick have to be before they can hop up and navigate 3.5 inch tall barriers.

Thanks for listening.

Mark

Back
Top Bottom