Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

One of my tailed Araucana hen Tilda has been broody for 15weeks!

She hatched 3 silkies by her self.

Then when chicks were 4week old, she decided to join her broody sister to hatch another 7eggs.

Now second chicks are 5weeks old. Finally she lay her egg today. First one in 15 weeks!!

I missed her blue eggs so much!

Wow! Lots of new broodies and chicks! I haven't been on here in awhile. Congrats to all the broodies!

Good old Topsy is at it again. She's trying her best to go broody and but I keep stealing the eggs she manages to find. I still haven't determined the sex of her four silkies from the last brood. So no going broody!

Someone mentioned they kept their silky separated because they were worried she wouldn't be a good mom and protect the chicks. I've not had a problem with that. My silkie manages to teach the babies and keep them safe within the mixed bantam and large fowl flock.

I will try to get pictures of miss mini and her new set up today , she woudnt come out today since i moved her last night. Im hopeing she is ok Im tempted to make her come up but I dont know if i feel like getting pecked.

Wow! Lots of new broodies and chicks! I haven't been on here in awhile. Congrats to all the broodies!

Good old Topsy is at it again. She's trying her best to go broody and but I keep stealing the eggs she manages to find. I still haven't determined the sex of her four silkies from the last brood. So no going broody!

Someone mentioned they kept their silky separated because they were worried she wouldn't be a good mom and protect the chicks. I've not had a problem with that. My silkie manages to teach the babies and keep them safe within the mixed bantam and large fowl flock.
that was me..... and i think i am going to keep them apart for about a week instead of the six weeks i was going to. i want her to hatch them away from them though because the other chickens were trying to lay on top of her, and they pecked her because she wouldnt move and her face got all bloody

Last edited:
First timer w/chickens here needs your help!! If you have a broody raising her chicks, is there a need for a grow out pen? What exactly is a grow out pen?

My broody Sizzle is sitting on 6 mixed eggs from a friend's EE's, WR's & BR's. She is in my one & only coop--8 x 12 with 6 chickens. None of the others are laying right now and no one has bothered her one bit. They avoid her like the plague! I plan to build a pen around her before hatch day so everyone will be safe. I'm not sure how 2 of my bantam cochins will behave towards the chicks. Can't really tell how the pecking order goes but one of them acts like the head hen. She even tried to move the rooster out of her favorite spot on the roost but he said No way!

Shoot, I just started a thread when I should have posted my question here but I am going to repost them here sorry if anyone wasted there time reading both.

Once a hen goes broody how long do you have to order and have eggs delivered...do you ever get a shipment of eggs after the hen changes her mind?

How do you coordinate a hen hatching her own fertile eggs with eggs you are getting from outside sources. I mean if she lays fertile eggs on Monday goes broody on Tuesday and I order eggs from someone on Wednesday will her eggs be viable when those eggs arrive several days later?? Or should I just plan on any broody mamas hatching either their own OR others' eggs.

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom