Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

So excited!
wee.gif

I have another broody.... this makes #3.
Swedish Flower Hen eggs arrived yesterday, and I plan on setting them tonight!
This broody is very agressive, she tries to attack Gertie who is in another run with her babies, through the hardware cloth.
Kellogs is a welsummer and a first time broody. All the other hens stay out of her way when she comes out to roam for a bit each evening.
Hope she gentles up a bit once the eggs hatch.
I am totally addicted to this broody hatching!!!!!!!!
D.gif

DH says we have ENOUGH chickens for now.
Went from 12 to 34 (with the new babies) plus the additional 12 will make us at 46!
Then I will have to rehome some roosters!!!!!

Well, checked the eggs under the Broody Turkey and they all look good. Won't be candling until day 10, but I check every day to see if any are broken. So far none.

She has 10 eggs under her.....2 Serama eggs.....8 Smooth Sizzle/Frizzled Cochin eggs

Last year she hatched a bunch of eggs for me from my LF Dominiques, so I'm planning to put her to work this year as well. I let her set them until day 18 and then hatch them in the incubator since my pen isn't broody/chick safe.

Now you're a victim of chicken math also! Those baby chicks can be quite addicting.

I know the feeling. No that I (well, actually Winnie) hatched 2, I'm ready to rock and roll for some more! I've yet to figure out what to do with the two extras that I've got and husband isn't being really cooperative about having more chickens. I think it will help when my automatic door gets here and they don't require being let in and out. I'm just dying to get Winnie broody again and start another batch!

Well, checked the eggs under the Broody Turkey and they all look good. Won't be candling until day 10, but I check every day to see if any are broken. So far none.

She has 10 eggs under her.....2 Serama eggs.....8 Smooth Sizzle/Frizzled Cochin eggs

Last year she hatched a bunch of eggs for me from my LF Dominiques, so I'm planning to put her to work this year as well. I let her set them until day 18 and then hatch them in the incubator since my pen isn't broody/chick safe.
What, so she wont get to keep any after all that hard work?

Well I give up. MY broody Jersey Giant decided on day 16 to destroy the eggs we gave her that she was sitting on. I know the eggs were ok and developing, she even destroyed her original egg she started with. We had her in a quiet corner in her nesting box and nothing changed in her life. We left her alone and only came in to check on food and water I am beyond words
he.gif

Well I give up. MY broody Jersey Giant decided on day 16 to destroy the eggs we gave her that she was sitting on. I know the eggs were ok and developing, she even destroyed her original egg she started with. We had her in a quiet corner in her nesting box and nothing changed in her life. We left her alone and only came in to check on food and water I am beyond words:he .

hugs, so sorry

Well I give up. MY broody Jersey Giant decided on day 16 to destroy the eggs we gave her that she was sitting on. I know the eggs were ok and developing, she even destroyed her original egg she started with. We had her in a quiet corner in her nesting box and nothing changed in her life. We left her alone and only came in to check on food and water I am beyond words
he.gif
Ahhh sorry, they can be little so&so's sometimes!

Back
Top Bottom