Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Sunny day!

947390_4149134746328_732375108_n.jpg

481418_4149135306342_1292288404_n.jpg
935450_4149140906482_816225445_n.jpg

What breed of chicken is she? I have what looks like a silkie cross. She has feathers on her shanks, a cap on her head and what I call a regular comb and is small, but cute.
Gracie is either a poor quality hatchery silkie... or a silkie mix. We got her from a lady who couldn't remember if she'd been bought at a feed store or hatched out from other chickens she had bought at another time. It really didn't matter to me either way. I knew with that poofy head and the feathers that she had enough silkie to be a potential broody. That is why I bought the hens I did from that lady. And so far 3 out of the 5 are broody now, and this is Gracies second hatch this year...

here is a pic of her from a few months ago

Last edited:
Can someone help me- I think my new mama has mites and my baby chick as well. She has just a few feathers on her neck and back of her head. My baby chick/one month old, is sparse with
the feathers/down as well. What do I do?

Well, I have officially set some eggs under my broody. She is a Royal Palm Turkey and is setting on sizzle eggs. A bit unorthodox, but last year she hatched out LF chickens for me, so she will do good with these, too I'm sure. She gives me excellent hatchrates.

I put chicks (and ducklings) under my broody after 4 weeks and she accepted them just fine - well actually I just set them in the broody enclosure with her - in broad daylight - I know that is not how it's suppose to be done but I wanted to see what she would do because she is such a gentile hen - then I watched as she pulled each and every one under her with her beak. She would have gladly taken more if I had them.
bearspringsfarm i just have to say i love your dog he/she is very pretty you said it was a Australian shepherd right ??? here is my mix she is mostly Australian shepherd and she has a tiny bit of border collie
200x200px-ZC-6d7bd3ce_100_5086.jpeg
this is my girl

Can someone help me- I think my new mama has mites and my baby chick as well.  She has just a few feathers on her neck and back of her head.  My baby chick/one month old, is sparse with
the feathers/down as well.  What do I do?

I would either dust them with wood ash yourself or put a batch of ashes on the ground for them to dust in. Remove any substrate you were using in the coop area and replace with fresh.

These are three of four of my beautiful baby chicks! There names are Captain, Chief, and Pilot. The fourth one is Skipper, but he is shy.
PS my ipod's pictures suck so I will try for better pics later

Last edited:
Hey Johnn, how many eggs did you have set under your hen to end up with two chicks? I'm wondering because two chicks seems like an easy number to work with if my broodies went broody again :p If that makes sense

Back
Top Bottom