Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

HELP! I've posted this in another thread too, but I'd like to know what you guys think.....

I've got 2 hens sitting on different set of eggs (each hen in its own broody box). The eggs were set at the same time, on the 31st October. 1st chick hatched on the 20th November in the afternoon. Then 3 other chicks followed on the 21st in the morning. Today is 22 November (I'm in Australia).

So each hen has 2 chicks and a few more eggs unhatched (total of 4 chicks so far).

How long should I leave the hens sitting on the unhatched eggs? Is 48 hours be the norm? Is it counted from the first chick to hatch or the last?

The chicks are getting active and mum hens have been eating from a small dish I placed near her box (see photo). Both hens have pooped inside the nest box, towards the end. So I covered the poo with some hay. I would like to put the mums outside in a box in the yard, so they can poop, stretch and eat/drink with chicks, but I also would like to give the unhatched eggs a chance.

I don't have an incubator or other hens broody at the moment.

Any advice appreciated!!!

Background:
I just started keeping chickens in the spring. I have 9 hens who are of laying age. I have a bi-level nesting corner; I'm sure that two hens could fit on each level.

Problem:
I don't have tubs or anything yet that I can put in there in the spring to be able to move anyone who goes broody w/o disturbing her.

Question:
Could I put fabric or a drop cloth under the nesting material to pick up the hen, etc in like a sling or a sachel?
Does anyone have an creative ideas for this purpose?

any other info, especially on getting them to lay on the nesting corner instead of by the lawn mower would be nice too. =o\

HELP! I've posted this in another thread too, but I'd like to know what you guys think.....

I've got 2 hens sitting on different set of eggs (each hen in its own broody box). The eggs were set at the same time, on the 31st October. 1st chick hatched on the 20th November in the afternoon. Then 3 other chicks followed on the 21st in the morning. Today is 22 November (I'm in Australia).

So each hen has 2 chicks and a few more eggs unhatched (total of 4 chicks so far).

How long should I leave the hens sitting on the unhatched eggs? Is 48 hours be the norm? Is it counted from the first chick to hatch or the last?

The chicks are getting active and mum hens have been eating from a small dish I placed near her box (see photo). Both hens have pooped inside the nest box, towards the end. So I covered the poo with some hay. I would like to put the mums outside in a box in the yard, so they can poop, stretch and eat/drink with chicks, but I also would like to give the unhatched eggs a chance.

I don't have an incubator or other hens broody at the moment.

Any advice appreciated!!!

She'll leave the nest when she feels like she's done. Just leave them alone and mums will take care of it. After they leave the nest, you can probably discard the eggs unless you have a bator or another broody to put them under.

Question:
Could I put fabric or a drop cloth under the nesting material to pick up the hen, etc in like a sling or a sachel?

any other info, especially on getting them to lay on the nesting corner instead of by the lawn mower would be nice too. =o\
I used a shallow rounded wicker basket as a broody nest and it worked great. I wanted the extra rounded shape because she's a banty and I had her on 10 eggs. I filled the basket with straw and she created the nest shape inside. I propped the wicker up with more straw all around so that the edges were level with the flooring. It also made it easy to pick up the entire nest when I had to. I would cover the basket with a black plastic bin (used for vegetables.. maybe the size of a small trashcan) and pick up the bin+basket to move her when I had to.

Background:
I just started keeping chickens in the spring. I have 9 hens who are of laying age. I have a bi-level nesting corner; I'm sure that two hens could fit on each level.

Problem:
I don't have tubs or anything yet that I can put in there in the spring to be able to move anyone who goes broody w/o disturbing her.

Question:

I just leave mine alone. Mark the eggs that a broody is sitting on and then remove any extras that get laid in there each day. Don't have any ideas for the lawn mower problem. When I first got mine, I left them locked in the coop for about 3 weeks. That way, they knew that the coop was home. Probably too late for you to do that now, but you could give it a try. They tend to be creatures of habit, once they start laying in a particular place, they like to keep laying there. So, the real question is how to break the habit.

I used a shallow rounded wicker basket as a broody nest and it worked great. I wanted the extra rounded shape because she's a banty and I had her on 10 eggs. I filled the basket with straw and she created the nest shape inside. I propped the wicker up with more straw all around so that the edges were level with the flooring. It also made it easy to pick up the entire nest when I had to. I would cover the basket with a black plastic bin (used for vegetables.. maybe the size of a small trashcan) and pick up the bin+basket to move her when I had to.

Thank you.
smile.png

I just leave mine alone. Mark the eggs that a broody is sitting on and then remove any extras that get laid in there each day. Don't have any ideas for the lawn mower problem. When I first got mine, I left them locked in the coop for about 3 weeks. That way, they knew that the coop was home. Probably too late for you to do that now, but you could give it a try. They tend to be creatures of habit, once they start laying in a particular place, they like to keep laying there. So, the real question is how to break the habit.

I have read a lot on here that the rest of the flock messes with the broodies; that was why I was wondering about being able to move them, plus having the old coop and a brooder, I'd be able to do that.
I cooped mine when they came of laying age (that was in the old coop) and they still laid on a pile of blankets on the porch and in the middle of the flower bed (completely unprotected.
bow.gif

I also cooped them for a week when I first built the new hen house, but not all of them lay everyday. Now that they've been free ranging for a week or so, I've gotten 8 eggs in the past week.
smile.png

DH wants to build a pen, but I'm hoping that we can just keep free ranging.

Thank you for the advice and info!!!
smile.png

I have read a lot on here that the rest of the flock messes with the broodies; that was why I was wondering about being able to move them, plus having the old coop and a brooder, I'd be able to do that.
I cooped mine when they came of laying age (that was in the old coop) and they still laid on a pile of blankets on the porch and in the middle of the flower bed (completely unprotected. :bow
I also cooped them for a week when I first built the new hen house, but not all of them lay everyday.  Now that they've been free ranging for a week or so, I've gotten 8 eggs in the past week. :)
DH wants to build a pen, but I'm hoping that we can just keep free ranging.

Thank you for the advice and info!!! :)

Lock them in until after noon everyday for a while. Or let DH build the run, keep them locked in coop/run for a couple weeks to re-train them. Then when you let them out to free range they'll always come back to the coop to lay. I have a large flock that free ranges all day and with the numbers in the coop I know no one is laying in weird places. If you know where they like while they are locked up block those off and mess up nests so they know its a "no no".
1f60b.png
They aren't hard to train if they have some routine everyday with laying. Golf balls in the coop really helps too.

I have a Maran hen that just went broody. How many eggs can I put underneath her? I was thinking a dozen is too many. Does anyone have any experience with numbers. I live in the central valley of California, so the temps are between 35 at nights to 65 during the day.

I have a Maran hen that just went broody. How many eggs can I put underneath her? I was thinking a dozen is too many. Does anyone have any experience with numbers. I live in the central valley of California, so the temps are between 35 at nights to 65 during the day.
My Marans hen could handle 12 no problem.
I had a silly Wyandotte last year about this time that, after being missing for almost a month,
Strolled into the barn followed by 18 babies.......... could not believe they could handle that many..............
Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom