Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

I have a Maran hen that just went broody.  How many eggs can I put underneath her?  I was thinking a dozen is too many.  Does anyone have any experience with numbers.  I live in the central valley of California, so the temps are between 35 at nights to 65 during the day.

I have a black copper Marans sitting on eggs now. I'm in Nevada and or days have been 50-60s, nights in the 30s. Think she's sitting on 10 really comfortably. Have a silkie sitting on 8 so I'm sure your girl could handle a dozen. We are getting into a cold spell here, so didn't want to make them work any harder than necessary. Mine are about a week from hatch day so good luck with yours.

My three broody girls got moved into kennel in shop tonight. Temps are supposed to drop the next few days...day 15-16 today. One black copper Marans, and two silkies. Pulled them from big coops because they are starting to give a couple other girls ideas about sitting. No more broody girls this winter!! Holy moly it's contagious!

5 newly hatched Orpington chicks from eggs I was donated/bought.
Mums are sharing a playpen inside the house.
The blue Orpington on the left had 2 white chicks (one white chick is not on view), while the buff Orpington had the 3 cuckoo babies.

Back
Top Bottom