Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

She is back on the nest, didn't check for eggs yet. Thinking about just getting her a few baby chicks.

But this morning I noticed he comb wasn't as bright red as normal. I added the electrolytes to their water, but is that normal?

Also what type of nest is safe for hatching? I didn't realize it mattered.... :/

Sorry I missed the question about leaving the eggs for her. I might not take out any eggs until she's ready or you are ready. But instead leave them and mark them so you know which are new if you have other layers with similar eggs.

As far as her appearance goes yes her comb will shrivel and pale. She will also pluck out her breast feathers to make it easier to warm the eggs. Otherwise she should still appear healthy. She will seem to NEVER leave her nest and you will worry she's not eating or drinkng, but she is.

My recent broody experience was three girls, Maran, Silky and RIR, trying to hatch some WL shipped eggs and ending up with only a few going into hatch. So I ordered shipped chick for two broodies and let the RIR hatch her 3 chicks.

Congrats on the broody or pre-broody girl!

Took my camera tonight and caught the Maran teaching her slightly under two week old chicks how to get up on the roost. She got them up the ramp, to hop from board to board, and to fly down from the roost.

It is day 20. I checked the two broody hens this morning. I've got one pip with cheeping coming from inside. It is one of the Marans eggs, so I'm excited! Of course I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch since I know a lot can go wrong still. Hopefully I'll have some good news tomorrow.
lol.png

It is day 20.  I checked the two broody hens this morning.  I've got one pip with cheeping coming from inside.  It is one of the Marans eggs, so I'm excited!  Of course I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch since I know a lot can go wrong still.  Hopefully I'll have  some good news tomorrow.  :lol:

Yeah! Hoping you have some fuzzy butts soon! :fl

It is day 20. I checked the two broody hens this morning. I've got one pip with cheeping coming from inside. It is one of the Marans eggs, so I'm excited! Of course I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch since I know a lot can go wrong still. Hopefully I'll have some good news tomorrow.
lol.png
How exciting!!!!!!
celebrate.gif
Good luck to you and your broodies!!
fl.gif

Today was the first day all the broodies and chicks went into the yard. I walked outside and found the Maran with her four EE babies up by the house. The RIR and her 3 WL were over by the fence. And the Silky with her 3 OE was under the table and chairs. No one was inside the chicken pen. They were all busy scratching in the grass for bugs and such.

I also noticed that two of the WL seem to have very yellow combs and one is seeming to have a nice red one. Remembering my first flock of chickens who were WLs as well, the only pullet in that flock had a yellow comb long after the four other ones grew big red combs and started crowing. So I'm thinking I may have two pullets and one rooster in that clutch. If it turns out that all my shipped chicks really are pullets as predicted, I might keep the lone WL roo for a time. But I will have at least five more weeks before I'll know for sure if those WL chicks are going to crow.

Today was the first day all the broodies and chicks went into the yard. I walked outside and found the Maran with her four EE babies up by the house. The RIR and her 3 WL were over by the fence. And the Silky with her 3 OE was under the table and chairs. No one was inside the chicken pen. They were all busy scratching in the grass for bugs and such.

I also noticed that two of the WL seem to have very yellow combs and one is seeming to have a nice red one. Remembering my first flock of chickens who were WLs as well, the only pullet in that flock had a yellow comb long after the four other ones grew big red combs and started crowing. So I'm thinking I may have two pullets and one rooster in that clutch. If it turns out that all my shipped chicks really are pullets as predicted, I might keep the lone WL roo for a time. But I will have at least five more weeks before I'll know for sure if those WL chicks are going to crow.
All happy mommas and babies
love.gif
My broody is taking great care of her eggs due to hatch Aug 11th!

So my one slikie in my mixed flock has gone broody in the last few days. She is not aggressive in any way when I have tried to view the eggs under her. She is really guarding them though. I do not have a roo so her eggs are not fertile. I do however have 6 fertile eggs in the incubator that have 5 days left till hatch date. So my question is can I place the eggs I have ready to hatch under her for her to hatch? I really want her to be able to be a mommy and I want my kids to have the experience of seeing a mother hen caring for her babies. Should I just place 2 of them under her? Can I place the newly hatched babies under her? She is still with her flock but they leave her alone as she is mostly the boss. Should I move her? Suggestions please...

So my one slikie in my mixed flock has gone broody in the last few days. She is not aggressive in any way when I have tried to view the eggs under her. She is really guarding them though. I do not have a roo so her eggs are not fertile. I do however have 6 fertile eggs in the incubator that have 5 days left till hatch date. So my question is can I place the eggs I have ready to hatch under her for her to hatch? I really want her to be able to be a mommy and I want my kids to have the experience of seeing a mother hen caring for her babies. Should I just place 2 of them under her? Can I place the newly hatched babies under her? She is still with her flock but they leave her alone as she is mostly the boss. Should I move her? Suggestions please...

Depends on how aggressive the rest of your flock is as to whether or not to move her. My mixed flock has a few bossy girls but so far every silky I've had that has gone broody has managed to do fine staying with the rest of the flock. It's actually helped her show the chicks the pecking order quicker because the silky girls have been good at avoiding conflict. Unlike my larger Maran who just drags her chicks into the mist of the larger girls without a thought.

If she's only recently gone broody and she's a silky I say go for it. The same thing has happened to me and I didn't have a problem giving my girl chicks to raise or eggs to hatch on Day 14. Sounds like you're on Day 16 so you would want to do it soon as sometimes they hatch earlier then 21 days.

Depending on how expensive the eggs were, I might be inclined to let the chicks hatch and then slip them under her after they've all dried off in the late evening.

Let me also add that the kids will be able to watch the chicks hatch in the bator, but it wouldn't be wise to lift up the silky to watch them hatch under her.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom