Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Question... I have a bantam Cochin hen that's been sitting on two eggs since may 28th ish. I think today is the 21st day and keep crossing my fingers ill check on her and she'll have two baby chicks hatching.
My question is, if they're duds will she naturally get off the eggs after a certain amount of time goes by?

Does it take longer than 21days for eggs to hatch?
In my limited past experience with this she will not leave the eggs. I had a broody setting on some "fertile eggs " I bought and out of 16 nothing happened, her previous brood was fine. Yes it can take longer than 21 days, I have had late eggs hatch on day 24.

Ok here is my problem, I have had too many past bad Brodie's. Jersey Giants that broke eggs and the last were 3 Red Rangers that went broody shortly together. At first one bird had a huge clutch of eggs on an open floor and she would take any eggs laid that day. Th others joined in a week later. around day 21 one of the late birds got up and left but I was patient. On day 28 I look to check and one bird was on nothing and bird # 1 was on3 or 4 eggs. Obviously she was breaking eggs, probably to big to sit on them. Now in another coop one of my three Buff Orps starts sitting on eggs. The problems are that it is in a small 12" by 12" laying box from Tractor Supply. I worry that that is small and to tight and it has a small amount of hay. My other problem is the other birds are laying on top of her, there are other laying boxes and some open room but they lay on her and I worry that that is an overload. My final worry is that my rooster makes all the noise but rarely takes a hen, I know this from cracking some eggs and looking for the bulls eye. I plan to leave her be and not move her but I am afraid of no eggs hatching again.

In my limited past experience with this she will not leave the eggs. I had a broody setting on some "fertile eggs " I bought and out of 16 nothing happened, her previous brood was fine. Yes it can take longer than 21 days, I have had late eggs hatch on day 24.

I agree with this. My Maran sat this past time on nonfertile eggs for 35 days before getting her shipped chicks. That said, each broody is different and if the eggs aren't good most of my other broodies have pushed them out of the nest or eaten them. However they have had chicks hatch so they stayed until all the ones that could hatch would hatch. Then they exited the nest leaving behind any eggs that either were never going to hatch or the chicks didn't make it out.

Chicks can hatch early, late or right on time. I've had chicks hatch on day 25. I've had them hatch in day 19. Depends on a lot of different factors like humidity, heat, and broody.

Hang in there. Check again in a day or two. Maybe candle some eggs and see what's happening.

That was for TheChips :)

Last edited:
Ok here is my problem, I have had too many past bad Brodie's. Jersey Giants that broke eggs and the last were 3 Red Rangers that went broody shortly together. At first one bird had a huge clutch of eggs on an open floor and she would take any eggs laid that day. Th others joined in a week later. around day 21 one of the late birds got up and left but I was patient. On day 28 I look to check and one bird was on nothing and bird # 1 was on3 or 4 eggs. Obviously she was breaking eggs, probably to big to sit on them. Now in another coop one of my three Buff Orps starts sitting on eggs. The problems are that it is in a small 12" by 12" laying box from Tractor Supply. I worry that that is small and to tight and it has a small amount of hay. My other problem is the other birds are laying on top of her, there are other laying boxes and some open room but they lay on her and I worry that that is an overload. My final worry is that my rooster makes all the noise but rarely takes a hen, I know this from cracking some eggs and looking for the bulls eye. I plan to leave her be  and not move her but I am afraid of no eggs hatching again.

Go to her nest at night, remove her to the ground, pick up each egg and candle it. If you see a chick developing great, mark it as to what day you think it is. If you see nothing mark it with a zero then put all the eggs back and her back. When more time passes check again. I like to candle on days 3, 7, 14 and discard anything stinking or obviously not developing so they can focus on the ones that are developing.

Last edited:
Ok here is my problem, I have had too many past bad Brodie's. Jersey Giants that broke eggs and the last were 3 Red Rangers that went broody shortly together. At first one bird had a huge clutch of eggs on an open floor and she would take any eggs laid that day. Th others joined in a week later. around day 21 one of the late birds got up and left but I was patient. On day 28 I look to check and one bird was on nothing and bird # 1 was on3 or 4 eggs. Obviously she was breaking eggs, probably to big to sit on them. Now in another coop one of my three Buff Orps starts sitting on eggs. The problems are that it is in a small 12" by 12" laying box from Tractor Supply. I worry that that is small and to tight and it has a small amount of hay. My other problem is the other birds are laying on top of her, there are other laying boxes and some open room but they lay on her and I worry that that is an overload. My final worry is that my rooster makes all the noise but rarely takes a hen, I know this from cracking some eggs and looking for the bulls eye. I plan to leave her be and not move her but I am afraid of no eggs hatching again.

Something else to try, when you go out at night and the other hens are sitting on her, making the weight enough to break eggs, pick the other hens out and put them on a roost. Hopefully, if you do this for a few nights, they will get the hint.

Oh my goodness. I have chicks coming out my ears all of a sudden. I want to move one of the broody hens and the chicks out of the nest box. If they hatched overnight is it too soon? Should I wait until tomorrow? I have a second broody hen that I will leave with all of the unhatched eggs. I have a horse stall set up with hay and shavings for the new chicks and the mommas. It is very secure and warm enough for everyone. They will have a dog kennel to sleep in that has a door for locking them in at night. Is it OK to move the chicks as soon as they are dry, or should I just wait until tomorrow?

Thanks! Picture coming soon.

Last edited:
I am still a beginner when it comes to chickens. I have been keeping them for less than a year. Now my speckled sussex has been sitting on a nest of eggs for 2 nights. I wasn't sure if she was broody or just developing a bad habit so I have been observing her closely today. She is currently on the nest, but I know she was off of it for at least an hour earlier. Could she still be deciding? Or just not a good brooder? Will this hurt the development of the eggs? Also, if she is broody, I really need to move her! She stole some eggs and decided right under the roost was a good place (darkest spot in the coop) :(

Today I got up early to check my nests. I didn't expect anything, but I already had 5 chicks, and 5 more eggs were pipping.

The first nest I checked surprised me. I had two frankenchicks! (Joking - sort of). Out of two chicks, one has five toes! It is a Welsummer/Favorolle cross. The second chick is a Turken with a naked neck. LOL that one was a bt of a shock. The little guy is already my favorite. He jumped in the water dish and got a bath and also got "lost" in the corner of the nest box already.

Since this morning I had 3 more hatch so I'm up to 8. Two more are almost hatched and that just leaves two that aren't doing anything. Both broodies are doing a great job!

Not sure who this one is. I think it is an EE that hatched out of a broken egg.

Last edited:
Today I got up early to check my nests. I didn't expect anything, but I already had 5 chicks, and 5 more eggs were pipping.

The first nest I checked surprised me. I had two frankenchicks! (Joking - sort of). Out of two chicks, one has five toes! It is a Welsummer/Favorolle cross. The second chick is a Turken with a naked neck. LOL that one was a bt of a shock. The little guy is already my favorite. He jumped in the water dish and got a bath and also got "lost" in the corner of the nest box already.

Since this morning I had 3 more hatch so I'm up to 8. Two more are almost hatched and that just leaves two that aren't doing anything. Both broodies are doing a great job!

Not sure who this one is. I think it is an EE that hatched out of a broken egg.

They are adorable!!

I frequently move the hen anytime after the hatch is well started and at least one or two are fluffed. I don't move them when they are in the process of zipping or drying, but have moved them when there were eggs pipped and other chicks out and dry. It doesn't seem like mama hen cares as much once she has a couple of fluffed chicks to keep her occupied, as long as your new location is nice and safe (prefer quiet and secluded for at least the first few days)

So my broody silkie hen has her temporary broody suite complete with nest side food and water service. She is such a sweet and calm girl. She sat and just watched me bulid everything up around her and not one sound. I feel much better knowing she has all the food and water she needs close by.

Back
Top Bottom