Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Like Just Sayin, I am not crazy about winter hatches. I regret letting Agatha try to hatch 15 eggs. We had one hatch and survive, and he's currently living in the house being treated for frostbitten feet. I'm sure lots of people have successful winter hatches - I'm just not one of them. I had an inexperienced, 9 month old broody and she had an inexperienced, ahem, much older owner. Not a good mixture. In my defense, I never expected the drastic change in weather we had....it was 60 degrees one day, 20 the next, then snow, then we went a week with temps as low as -17. This is not normal November weather for us. Now I have to either keep Scout in the house until he's quite a bit older or come up with a way to protect him as I reintroduce him. This is not how I expected it to be and the ugly truth is that I have no one to blame but myself.

He's a doll, and we're all very attached to him, but I have to accept the responsibility for letting my emotions and my love for my granddaughter Katie cloud what is normally the better judgement I know I have. I admire folks who have broodies hatch in the winter and do so with no problems. But I can't lie and say that our first trip into broody-land has been an easy one.

We're all just hopeless romantics.
smile.png
I just didn't want to break my hen's heart and take her eggs away. And yes, the cold snap we had was very unusual this time of year. Spring would be better next time, momma! Live and learn...

Last edited:
Losttexan, good luck with your imminent hatch.

My broody cochin silkie mix, Frances, is sitting on 3 RSL cross "goodness knows what" eggs... good old Molly my RSL was the only hen I had laying at the time and Frances was determined to be broody, so I let her have 2 and then Molly sneaked another one into the nest the following day and I hadn't marked them, so that made 3. Anyway, things have been a bit hectic here and as a result I've lost track of when they are due. I know they were started on a Wed and they can only have had 2.5 weeks max but this morning I can clearly hear peeping coming from my sideboard/brooder. It's so loud I was convinced that there must be chicks hatched, but I'm certain they have at least several more days to go, if not more than a week. It really sounds like baby chicks but could Frances be making baby talk to her chicks. I've had a very quick check of the eggs and they aren't hatched but don't want to interfere too much at this stage, so it was literally, reach under, feel eggs and retreat. I know she is a good mother, so I'm not overly concerned, but just really surprised. This is my 4th brood but it's the first time I have heard peeping so clearly before hatch.

I also have a young lame pullet in the brooder with Frances whom I have recently self diagnosed as having Mareks. She chose to buddy up with Frances when she first started sitting and the two of them have been happy co brooding. I understand that this puts the chicks at higher risk but they are going to be infected anyway as Frances has already been exposed to it and I don't have the heart to isolate the Marek's pullet as she is fighting it and has not deteriorated in 8 weeks. I'm just concerned that due to her lameness she might accidentally stand on a chick after they hatch as she isn't very stable, but can't bring myself to isolate her. I know it is high risk raising chicks in a Marek's flock anyway, and I'm really only doing it because Frances was so determined to be broody again.

Anyway, right or wrong, I may have another fluff butt or 2 in the very near future by the sound of things this morning!

12 eggs set, 1 eaten, 2 early quitters. Five chicks have hatched:

Waiting on the other four. One external pip, one cheeping in shell, two are possible late deaths.

Cute chicks!

My broody that hatched 10 eggs in July is broody again. Going against my better judgement, I put 7 eggs under her tonight. She immediately started talking to the eggs (she's a really good mom). The two pullets we kept from her summer hatch heard her talking to the eggs and tried to jump in the nest with their momma. Of course the broody got mad and pecked at them. Awww, my poor pullets.
hugs.gif

They are 4 months old and will be laying there own eggs pretty soon, but they still very much momma's girls.

Cute chicks!

My broody that hatched 10 eggs in July is broody again. Going against my better judgement, I put 7 eggs under her tonight. She immediately started talking to the eggs (she's a really good mom). The two pullets we kept from her summer hatch heard her talking to the eggs and tried to jump in the nest with their momma. Of course the broody got mad and pecked at them. Awww, my poor pullets.
hugs.gif

They are 4 months old and will be laying there own eggs pretty soon, but they still very much momma's girls.
I love mommas girls...
love.gif

So darn cute, we had 2 od the 6 eggs hatch the other 4 are expected in a few more days, I have 2 Buff Orphingtons... They are adorable babies. Just love baby chicks

Back
Top Bottom