Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

A few pictures to update our recent broody activities....

A group of youngsters who were cut loose a couple of weeks ago by the broodies... they found a new buddy to hang with

Andre seems happy to keep an eye on them.

Gracie (white) and her daughter Jo with their combined group...

3 of our silver pencil rocks had chicks and they have been raised as a group in the flock also...

The rooster helps watch over them...

Oh No!
barnie.gif

My broody got out of her nest box. She was sitting fine at 9:30am when we did the chicken chores. We ususally let her out, but it was a bit brisk & we'd be back out there later in the day. Anyway, at 3pm, she was sitting one nest over on a single infertile egg. Her eggs were cold. It could have been any time from 15 min to 5 hrs.
Has anyone else had this happen? About how long can the eggs stay alive on an 80'F day?

This is the 1st time we're leaving her in the coop while broody. We put up a temp plastic mesh over the opening, but it's more for show to keep the other hens out. (They were picking on her & depositing more eggs. The mesh prevents that, but it's not really made to actually lock up our broody.)

Oh No!
barnie.gif

My broody got out of her nest box. She was sitting fine at 9:30am when we did the chicken chores. We ususally let her out, but it was a bit brisk & we'd be back out there later in the day. Anyway, at 3pm, she was sitting one nest over on a single infertile egg. Her eggs were cold. It could have been any time from 15 min to 5 hrs.
Has anyone else had this happen? About how long can the eggs stay alive on an 80'F day?

This is the 1st time we're leaving her in the coop while broody. We put up a temp plastic mesh over the opening, but it's more for show to keep the other hens out. (They were picking on her & depositing more eggs. The mesh prevents that, but it's not really made to actually lock up our broody.)

It happens, usually with not a great detriment during warm weather if caught within 6-8 hours or so. I don't remember what day she is on but you can candle in a few days to see if any have quit developing. It is a risk when brooding in the coop and some hens are great while others not so much....we have a couple of each and have adapted to individual hen's needs. Since we prefer keeping the broody and the chicks in the flock/coop it is a risk we accept and watch for... I hope all goes well from here out for your hen .

We don't control when our brooders go in and out of the coop. Our hen had 5 eggs under her and two disappeared (we think a snake came in and got them) but the three remaining eggs hatched with very little issues even though she kept getting in and out of the box. Every time we found her in the wrong box we just put her back in the correct box.

We don't control when our brooders go in and out of the coop. Our hen had 5 eggs under her and two disappeared (we think a snake came in and got them) but the three remaining eggs hatched with very little issues even though she kept getting in and out of the box. Every time we found her in the wrong box we just put her back in the correct box.
Good to hear.

Oh No!
barnie.gif

I would at least bring her into her own kennel from now on, now you know. Taking a risk if you don't and I can't take risks.

Oh No!
barnie.gif

I bet the eggs are just fine on a day like that. Sounds like she got tired of waiting and pushed her way out but couldn't figure out how to get back in so she sat on the next best thing instead.

Yesterday I was worried because my broody never left the nest in seven days, as far as I could tell. Today I'm worried that she was off too long. I went to let the girls out to free range for a while and she was off her nest out in the run. She had deposited an ENORMOUS broody poop. She went out to free range in the yard with the others, but she seemed like a sleep walker. After a half hour I got worried that she had forgotten about her eggs, so I put her back in the coop where she could see her nest and eggs. About 10 minutes later I saw that she was out sitting in the run. I then picked her up and put her on the nest. She settled in, got all fluffed up and has been there ever since. However, she was off the eggs for at least 45 minutes. It was a pretty warm day, about 75 degrees, but I'm wondering if the eggs are going to make it.
UPDATE: All five eggs hatched! Hooray!

Back
Top Bottom