Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Ya, I may stop at TSC and see if they have any chicks to add. The breeder ones are more expensive and it's a multiple hour trip each way. I'll still try, but I'll be able to add at the right time that way.

I have a broody hen on day 12 of sitting on 9 fertile eggs. Just found out 2 of my hens are roosters. So now I have 3 roosters. The coop is off the ground 4 feet. Is that too high for the hen and chicks when they hatch. Also, does she need to be separated from the flock?

I have a broody hen on day 12 of sitting on 9 fertile eggs. Just found out 2 of my hens are roosters. So now I have 3 roosters. The coop is off the ground 4 feet. Is that too high for the hen and chicks when they hatch. Also, does she need to be separated from the flock?
Isn’t there a ramp? She only needs separated if there’s a problem you know of. She will protect her babies when they hatch. In the meantime, use a sharpie to make a band around her eggs. It will allow you to know which eggs are fresh, and need removed.

Isn’t there a ramp? She only needs separated if there’s a problem you know of. She will protect her babies when they hatch. In the meantime, use a sharpie to make a band around her eggs. It will allow you to know which eggs are fresh, and need removed.
Thank you for the advice! There is a ramp, but opening to ground is 3-4 feet. I am new to this and didn’t know if that is too high for baby chicks.

Thank you for the advice! There is a ramp, but opening to ground is 3-4 feet. I am new to this and didn’t know if that is too high for baby chicks.
Some of the earlier chicks might fall out and not be able to climb back into the nest. So it would be best to install some kind of barrier or a piece of mesh or similar to prevent them from falling down and dying of cold.

Back
Top Bottom