Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

My Serama Mama is doing well. She went from 2 eggs, to over 3 doz babies, then down to 6. (3 turkeys, 2 spitzhaubens, and 1 orpington) What's best is how motherhood gave her a reason for recovery.

Poor thing flew out of garage and either smacked into the fence or slipped on ice when landing. (3 months ago) My kids saw her fly out - but not the landing. Hen was screaming in pain. She didn't eat or drink for over half a day - in shock. I really thought I'd have to put her down, but she's my son's little friend. For about a week, I had to hold her in place so she could eat. She was laying on her side and living in a plastic storage tote. Once she was able to sit up, eat, and drink by herself I had some hope. I thought we would end up with a handicapped house chicken, but at least she could live. Slowly, we gave her some physical therapy and encouraged her to move around for some scratch. She can walk (not on tile) but stumbles. Then she went broody. Well, she was already sitting in a box, so she got a couple eggs.

Today was a big day! I put her and her 6 babies in a playpen in the grass. Warm sunshine, fresh air, and grass! I swear she's walking much better today and it was wonderful to see her moving around and calling to her chicks. I don't think she's ready to move out to the coop, but tonight they moved out of the basement and into the garage. Hoping some more time in the chicken playpen will strengthen her enough so she might return to the flock. She's a feisty bird and perhaps the broody hormones will work to her advantage.

One of my blue sexton is wanting to hatch some eggs for me. This time I'm going to let her. This will be my first home grown baby chicks I like to call them. 😁 I have a few questions. The nest box is like 3 feet off the ground. Should I move the box now or wait till after the hatch? If I move the box now will she stop laying on them because the box has been moved? I haven't decided yet if I will keep her with the flock or separate her after the hatch. I will candal the eggs in 10 days from today. Yes she is just starting her broody hen ways. I have had chickens for 8 years and this will be the first time I will not the taking the eggs. She will be the only one I will let hatch and more then likely this will be the only time I will do this because I want to keep my flock small and just hatch with broody hen when flock gets to small.

If you move her now, and she leaves the nest, then try giving her more time the next time. After a few days, it is safer to move her. Especially at night. by the way, the chicks will fall out of the nest, but survive. I can only say I left chicks in an elevated nest once, but that’s only because I’ve had multiple broodies sitting on the same nest since. They need more space.

My eggs are due to hatch on Tuesday!!

I'd like to get some day olds to add to the hatch to have the broody raise, but it's a long trip to where I would get them from. Should I plan to add them on the scheduled hatch day or wait till I see signs of babies? If I can make the trip on Friday it would be easier for me, but they do hatchings on Sunday/Monday and they would then be almost a week old and she may have hers hatch half a week before that.

Any ideas on the timing for best success? I'd rather not set up the brooder this year and I would just deal with what I have hatching instead of raising them separate if I have a choice.

What are your guys thoughts?

I'd like to get some day olds to add to the hatch to have the broody raise, but it's a long trip to where I would get them from. Should I plan to add them on the scheduled hatch day or wait till I see signs of babies? If I can make the trip on Friday it would be easier for me, but they do hatchings on Sunday/Monday and they would then be almost a week old and she may have hers hatch half a week before that.

Any ideas on the timing for best success? I'd rather not set up the brooder this year and I would just deal with what I have hatching instead of raising them separate if I have a choice.

Depends on the hen. Some will take anything some won't. Have the brooder ready

I get the best acceptance if the chicks are added on the same day as hatching and are about the same age. For better timing you may need to hold the new ones in a brooder for a day or two until the eggs start hatching, but worth it if she adopts them.

If you wait a few days after hatch, the hen may see the new ones as a 'threat' to her babies and attack them. If you add them too early, there's a chance the hen will care for them - but leave the nest with her unhatched eggs. Think of it as a 48 hour window when the hatching is taking place = the best time to add chicks. Also, the hatch day may not be exactly on day 21. My hens often hatch out eggs a day or 2 earlier. I know because I'm the one who gives them their eggs and writes the day on the calendar. I have some little over-achievers! LOL

It also helps if the hen's area is dark. Chicks spend their time under her as she talks and bonds with them. She is less likely to peck what she can't see.

I've had a few terrific hens that will adopt anything that peeps at any time - when broody. They are more of an exception to the rule.

Thanks. Maybe I'll just wait till the next broody to do the breeder chicks then.
I don't mean to scare you off. When a broody raises the chicks for you, it is very easy. I'm just trying to give advice about the best timing to add chicks. I'm more cautious with 1st time broody hens. Once I get a feel for their mothering style, I know which hens are more flexible in their timing, which are most protective, which can handle large numbers, etc.

Back
Top Bottom