Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

I will have to come back and read it again later, I didn't understand what encourages them to go broody?
I think 'closed nests' means confining them to a nest with fake eggs, 'open nests' and 'sitters' pen' seems to be what we call a broody coop, again with fake eggs until they do go broody. The burlap (sacking) is to encourage them to stay on the nest during daylight.

It was my first broody hen ever
I was so paranoid my broody silkie Cochin X would pull a runner like that so I kept her sister broody as well as a backup 😆
But she behaved and hatched all 4, they r 6 weeks this Thursday.

One thing I did was to get her off the nest daily for about 15 min each day to eat and poop. She wouldn't drink so I fed her porridge mash of her feed which she loved! So she got some fluids. I then plunked her back on her eggs. I think she wouldn't have lasted otherwise being a first time mama.

This question has probably been asked a million times but, what is folks opinions about taking the broody off her eggs so she can eat and drink? Our Ginny is very dedicated at the moment but until this morning I don't believe she had left her nest. My mother's opinion is to just leave her to get on with it. However, I rarely listen to my mother (!) and took her off this morning after the day had warmed up a bit. She had a big drink of water, lots to eat and another drink, a dust bath, more food and was back on her eggs within 15 min. The only thing she didn't do was poop!
The plan I'm building in my head, is that I can keep an eye on her and get her off every couple of days for the first couple of weeks and then leave her to it. Does this seem reasonable? She's a first timer so I don't want to disturb her too much.

This question has probably been asked a million times but, what is folks opinions about taking the broody off her eggs so she can eat and drink? Our Ginny is very dedicated at the moment but until this morning I don't believe she had left her nest. My mother's opinion is to just leave her to get on with it. However, I rarely listen to my mother (!) and took her off this morning after the day had warmed up a bit. She had a big drink of water, lots to eat and another drink, a dust bath, more food and was back on her eggs within 15 min. The only thing she didn't do was poop!
The plan I'm building in my head, is that I can keep an eye on her and get her off every couple of days for the first couple of weeks and then leave her to it. Does this seem reasonable? She's a first timer so I don't want to disturb her too much.
I have never taken a broody off the nest. Sounds like a good way to get broken eggs. They have been raising young for a long time and their instincts are good.
Last year I had at least 3 dz Chicken and 25 turkeys that went broody. The turkey that flew over the fence is the only one I had problems with, she never came back so I assume a coyote got her.

Back
Top Bottom