Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Rachel'sFlock :

Ok, I am on page 244 of this thread, and I haven't seen this question posted, anywhere, yet.

*Do you feel storing your collected fertile eggs in the kitchen, near the microwave oven is inadvisable? I have a very small kitchen space, and the spot they have always been is a basket atop the microwave, and under the counter.
My compass goes wonky every time we fire up the micro, so does anyone suppose my eggs are being negatively affected being stored there, as well???
Am I watching too much telly, before bedtime?
I know...get help, right?
hide.gif

Brightest Blessings

Just my 2 cents i would not store them near the microwave. I very seldom use mine and when it finally dies i'll not get another. I really don't think they are healthy. Like i said jm2c.
big_smile.png

Thanks, MissLydia. I was hoping I wasn't just being parranoid. I put all the microwave eggs into the fridge, and will begin saving fertile eggs for hatching, again, in a very different location.
I have already rearranged the space I have to accommodate the basket in a new spot.
Thanks, again, for the input.

I think a few have taken the chicks, like if they had enough chicks and were selling them, but I believe most of us have let mama take them to raise, after all she worked hard in this heat to sit and hatch them, seems almost cruel to then take them from her. And it's so enjoyable to watch them together. She actually does a much better job too.

Last edited:
Hi all,
I have been away for awhile because my wife took sick with cancer and past away in June. I usually let my hens do all the hatching, but I thought my grand children might enjoy watching some chicks hatch. So I bought one of those little 19.99 incubators that comes with quail eggs and a candling light so we could keep track to the progress. It has helped take our minds off other things. Out of 12 eggs 4 started to form and then only 2 kept growing, I think my grand children were getting worried but this morning I woke up to 2 little chicks. The kids are going to be so excited when they see them. We had so much fun I may get a better bator.
tongue.png

Quote:
Oh John I am so sorry to hear about your wife. Sounds like you have a good support team there and I am sure that has helped alot. Congrats on the baby quail, I bet they are adorable, post some pics when you get a chance. You hooked it sounds like already talking about getting a better bator, better get some wood too your gonna need bigger coops too
wink.png
God Bless you and your family!

Quote:
It happens but not very often I don't think. Thats why you need to be observant of mama and chicks for a couple of days at least after hatch. I had it happen once, but I will still let my hens sit and hatch. I know now something was wrong with both chicks though.

Back
Top Bottom