Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

hey evry one day 20 of my isa broody i have a wide variety of eggs under her and i am very anxious to see the results so wat does evryone think and i noe it takes 21 days for the chick to hatch btu when do they startt pipping and can the eggs still be candeled becaus ei want to noe if they are viable but she seems very excited and anxious she keeps peeking under her windgs to see whose there lol cant wait
droolin.gif

Quote:
Mama will keep her chicks warm as toast.

Lord, I hope so!

And by "in the house" I actually mean in the garage. DH would definitely Never go for in the house.

Edited for brain lapse...

No heat lamp for me then. Thanks again all. Sometimes I wonder why I feel the need to go all "meddlesome", they are chickens for goodness sake. My poor dog doesn't even get this much babying.

Jloeffler: My DH allowed it this spring because the poor man didn't know any better. Honestly neither did I. NEVER, EVER again. Yuck. I may not be a super neat freak but that dust was way over my comfort level. When I found a shed on CL for $100, I approached my DH and kind of mentioned (
wink.png
) it would make a great coop for the babies. I don't think I even finished my sentence before the man had the truck started and was shouting at me to hurry and call about it! Hee hee.

Quote:
Congrats on the coming babies.
smile.png
I'm new to this too but I would say don't candle this late in the game. I wouldn't even mess with Momma now. They should be hatching anytime. If she keeps peeking under her you may already have some babies. We all love pics here....hint hint.

HAHA my PR is sooo broody now she will only come out when she hear's me call them all for treats!

If I "lied" and have no treats she runs back in and growl growl growls away on her nest LOL

Quote:
Don't put a heat lamp in the coop you'll just make them miserable, mama can keep her chicks warm and toasty. They will feather faster and be healthier without one, and mama sure doesn't need it. Now good luck and keep us updated. day 1 starts 24 hrs after you set the eggs.
smile.png

Quote:
Don't put a heat lamp in the coop you'll just make them miserable, mama can keep her chicks warm and toasty. They will feather faster and be healthier without one, and mama sure doesn't need it. Now good luck and keep us updated. day 1 starts 24 hrs after you set the eggs.
smile.png

thumbsup.gif

WOW!

I only went to a horse show at the weekend....I was only gone a few minutes...and I come back and there are still MORE BABIES!!!
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
jumpy.gif

Congratulations to you all! May your mommas be good mommas and your babies grow strong and fast!
thumbsup.gif
love.gif

I seem to have 2 laying now: Hermione and Phoebe the Freebie.

Don't know what Helen is up to...she should be laying, but isn't
barnie.gif

The 'babies' are now bigger than all the others except Bonus the LS cockerel. They are spending more time with the rest of the birds but still showing no sign of wanting to sleep with the

grown ups
idunno.gif

And they are still doing some illicit free ranging when I'm not looking
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom